Has increasing fiber through natural or supplemental means actually helped anyone?

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi, I'm 54 and have had uncomplicated acute diverticulitis twice 3 years apart and some minor " flares" that I was able to stop with fasting and liquid diet for a couple of days. I eat a very healthy diet free of processed foods, lots of lean chicken, salads, vegetables etc. I have a gluten intolerance, so i've been gluten free for a year. I don't feel I eat enough food in a day to get close to the recommended 30 grams of fiber, so i started supplementing with benefiber, slowly working my way up to two tablespoons a day which is equal to about 10 grams. That's when my 2nd acute flare up happened. My doctor keeps pushing the supplemental fiber, but now I'm concerned it will cause another flare.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Edited

If there is one thing I have to avoid, it's fibre! Every time I eat foods that are high in fibre like bananas, fruits, fruit juices, most vegetables, cake and desserts, all dairy, I experience a flare up. I had to learn this through trial and error and a lot of experimentation. I know this is contrary to what doctors are saying but for me, fibre is the worst culprit for a flare up. I try and limit my fibre intake as much as possible. This isn't easy because most foods have a little fibre in them but if I limit myself to about less than 2g of fibre per 10g per food, (less than 10g per day) I'll be ok. I'd suggest you try this diet and see if it improves your situation. Fibre adds bulk to a person's stool but it also adds pressure in your intestines. My theory is, if you're diagnosed with diverticulitis/diverticula, fibre will make it worse. Fibre also acts like a "brush" so if your intestines are already sensitive especially with diverticula and all those little pouches, fibre is like a "brush" brushing through your already affected and sensitive intestines. For me, that's the only explanation why it flares up or feel very painful as soon as I consume fibre. Besides, there are things you can drink that can soften your stool if you're worried about it. One is Laxido which my doctor recommended.

• Posted

*correction

2g of fibre per 100g

• Edited

Similar experiences here i keep trying to ramp-up fibre after stabilizing post-attack, but find too much fibre or too fast can cause constipation, and the pushing or pressure leads to an attack Doctor even warned me about fibre supplements leading to bulk/irritation/constipation. So keeping the fibre lower than recommended. i'm guestimating 15-25g per day

Learned about Lectins recently, which explains why to avoid tomato skins (night shade vegetables), peanuts (legumes), whole wheat (switched to white sourdough or rye bread). Trying tree nuts like Pistachios and Walnuts which are low in lectins Hoping I can ease up the fibre with a lower lectin diet. Reduced but not eliminated coffee and alcohol (boo hoo), but not eliminated them unless I get an attack.

Interested to hear what others are finding with fibre correlations and strategies

• Posted

3 yrs apart is great! good question i wonder same about fiber - hard to get clear answers from physician.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.