Has my citalopram stopped working

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've been on citalopram for nearly 7 years and then I started feeling really anxious and having constant panic (it's been really bad the past few weeks but I came off mirtazapine cold turkey because I don't know whether it's the mirtazapine or citalopram that is causing all thisorts anxiety ) I've never felt anxiety like this before, I feel so detached from my body, I was on 10mg (I've been on 40mg years ago then lowered it to 10mg over the years) I told my doctor in August my anxiety has come back with a vengeance so was upped to 20mg but has made no difference in actually got worse! Every day is unbearable I'm do confused with my meds, is it the mirtazapine (I'm back on it at a higher dose for 2 weeks now) but mirtazapine isn't suppose to cause anxiety! I don't know what to do my life is not worth living at the moment! I'm stuck in a anxious panicky rut! I haven't been myself since July! Please some advice 😢

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Pamela. So sorry to hear. I don't know what mirtazapine is. Citalopram is a very common drug and seems to work for most but not for everyone. There are others you could try but only under medical advice. Unfortunately I am not medical so cant comment. All I do know is there will be something out there that can help even if it does not fell like it at the moment. Hang in there. you are not alone !! It is a horrific journey but you will come through this. A drug that worked for me before was Fluroxetine. It is used more for depression but it helped with my anxiety too. Sorry I cant be more help. Make sure you get some counselling as that really helps too. Good luck and stay in touch xx Mark

• Posted

I've doubled my dose today to see if that helps! I'm freaking out abit now weather is should of done it or not! 😯

• Posted

You sound exactly like I did when I went up to 20mg on citalopram from 10mg and remember that the citalopram is a really slow acting medication. Imagine it like going through a dense jungle going through all the foliage to find the temple (your mind) and that's citalopram. It has to work through all the unnecessary parts of the mind to target the source of the unwanted anxiety and depression.

There is nothing wrong with upping dosage on medication but it really should be done after consultation from the doctor. I was told I could go to 20mg when I felt up to it but I upped it the second my side effects kicked in and the doctor said it could make them worse, but its nothing to worry about as the doctor told me I hadn't poisoned myself or made anything worse. I would talk with the doctor about the medication though and how you feel with the side effects as I mentioned in my own reply.

Lots of hugs and support

Kyle

• Posted

I would only do that under advice from your Dr. These drugs are very slow acting so you may not feel the benefits for a while but the side effects may kick in earlier. You may feel worse before you get better. This seems to be a common theme. I am on 20mg and have been for 8 weeks and feel almost normal again. Some people go onto 30 or even 40 but again, only under advice.  Don't freak out for upping them today but call your Dr ASAP to ask for advice and so he has a record of it. Trust you will be ok. you have done nothing wrong. Keep talking Markx

• Posted

Thanks for advice....I wish I didn't do it now, my doctors are a nightmare to get to speak to one...think I will call the pharmacist to be on safe side

• Posted

If you have only taken it today then don't stress.  As I said, it takes a long time to work so just go back to 10 mg tomorrow.  Honestly, 1 day does not matter. Its the same if you miss 1 day, there is no negative impact. Seriously, don't stress. You will feel no ill effects on taking a double dose for 1 day

• Posted

Thanks I've just rang pharmacist he said it will be OK but if I feel any strange side effects to ring doctor, yeah I only doubled it today, I'm just looking for a quick fix and try and solve out why I'm getting horrendous side effects of one of my medications!!! I'm frustrated and mentally exhausted of feeling like this! I thought if citalopram had stopped working doubling the dose might work!

• Posted

Sadly there is no quick fix.  To help me get through the initial side effects of citalopram I took Diazepam but you can feel a bit zombified on these. Can you take any time off work or reduce your stress levels for now? I took 5 weeks off which really helped. It sounds like increasing to 20mg is the right thing to do but pls check. These meds don't stop anxiety but they seriously reduce it over time. Let me know how you get on. You are not alone in your feelings even though it feels like it. Stay strong. Great idea is to do some research on Google.  That really helped me understand. Also buy a book called 'Depression, an illness of the strong' It will highlight how strong you are despite what you are feeling.  Good luck xx

• Posted

Thanks for advice.I'm a housewife so I'm alone all day till I pick my son up from school...I have long walks on the woods and keep myself busy...I don't weather it's just my imagination but I feel a lot calmer at the moment, my little boy is off school today and he's keeping me busy lol 😊

• Posted

LOL  Good for you. Getting out in nature is fantastic as is exercise.  I took up jogging when I got ill and I now run up to 13km at a time. I felt a bit anxious this morning, probabaly because I had a night out with friends last night so I ran 14km and feel really good. It works out all the adrenaline. I also have a couple of friends who have been through it that have been a great support.  The other thing I find really helpful is writing lists of things to do each day. Even if they are simple things like hanging out the washing or cleaning the car.  Sadly I separated from my wife after 20 years in April and was made redundant that month too !!!!! Argg, not surprised I crashed again but things are looking more positive now. Keep busy, keep talking and treasure those moments of calm. There will be more of them and enjoy them as they happen. If you are like me then you probably feel worse in the mornings and better as the day goes on. Sunshine really helps!!  Focus on the positives.  You WILL get through this and enjoy those good times!! Take great care x
  • Posted

Hi Pamela, I lost my reply twice from pressing the back button on the mouse lol!

I have read a few replies that people have posted and just remember that these are indeed side effects of medication. It has been made a little tougher because of a lot of changes in the medication in a short period of time. Remember as resilient as the mind is it also needs a lot of love and time when its in a tough spot. I am currently into my 4/5th week of citalopram (I forget the days so often lol) and the side effects are still with me in the mornings and I do dread having to face them, but I have noticed even if it is tiny tiny things that these things are me slowly getting back to my old self I have missed for so long (the last time I felt happy and confident I was about 5-6) and trust me it's such a relief knowing that you and you alone are capable of getting yourself through the worst and seeing light at the end of the tunnel as I am sure you'll see in a few weeks times.

I know the days drag and weeks can feel like months sometimes but just let the medication work at its own pace as we're all different. I read that people have got over side effects two weeks in, but here I am nearing the 5 week mark and I still have to deal with the loss of appetite, nausea, diarrhoea and anxiety. It does get more bearable through self-help a delicate change in lifestyle such as eating healthy foods even if its small and maybe even taking multivitamin supplements which I have been doing when I can't eat enough during the day.

Just remember though that these are side effects and they will be tough. It may be beneficial going to the doctors and asking if they can prescribe something to help you through the toughest of time. I got some diazepam 2mg tablets and they are absolutely amazing in helping me when my anxiety in the morning feels overwhelming. Just knowing they're on my desk is reassurance enough most days.

I hope you feel better soon Pamela and my thoughts are with you,

Kyle

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.