Has my dad got to the final stages of copd?

Posted , 5 users are following.

My dad has had COPD for the last 10yrs but the last six month his health has really deteriorated. He sleeps constantly, hardly eats and his feet are constantly swollen as well as the breathlessness he now can't dress himself or do day to day things like making himself a drink or going to the toilet unaided. He has had 4 hospital stays in 4 months and the all say fev19% on discharge notes.

I've asked the gp for help but got told it was down to me to talk to the carers not him ( care agency only been visiting dad for a month, so don't know him well enough to help either)

All I'm told is the 19% is his lung capacity and eventually he will pass away. Not very helpful when it comes to dealing with things now for him...

Was hoping someone would know what the final stages are like as I am clueless

Many thanks

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I am really sorry to hear about your father. In order to at least try to answer you concern may I know how old is your father ?
    • Posted

Hi, he is 65 but I've been his sole carer up until a year ago as i couldn't cope with looking after him and working

He has severe muscle wastage in his legs and arms so is only able to transfer from bed to chair etc, incontinent and has a very poor appetite. To make matters worse he is alcohol dependent and has behavioural issues

• Posted

Is he on oxygen 24/7? What is his oxygen saturation?
    • Posted

No as he was a heavy smoker up until 2 years ago the Dr says he doesn't meet the criteria for oxygen at home. He goes into hospital what seems like every other week with chest infections and his oxygen sats are always around 80/85%

I can never get a straight answer from drs im always told that this is how it will be now as he's getting worse

• Posted

Hello Abby, 

So sorry to hear about your father. I was amazed when I read your post. I could have written it myself. 

My father is more or less like your father, 17% capacity and not really taking care of himself. Drinks a little too much. I came here also to find out more. We have a doctors appointment in two weeks to find out if he is a candidate for transplant. 

• Posted

Hi Sophia sorry to hear about your dad being in a similar situation but sadly my dad passed away peacefully in his sleep last night x
    • Posted

Oh Abby.... So sorry to hear that. I hope he is at peace, and I hope you will be OK too. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.