Has my nervous system been hit?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello all please could someone identify what is going on with me?!

I have had so much stress and anxiety lately ranging from a little stress at work,

my 17 yr old having anxiety attacks and subsequently now going for an autism assessment,

other daughter split from long term partner, which has all been very upsetting and stressful.

Then to top it all off my mum had a heart attack and needs emotional support.

I felt like I was being sucked into quicksand one particular night...

That's the only way I could describe it and every time I went to bed that's the way I would feel.

After one particular extreme bad day of internal emotions and me feeling so stressed my heart rate /

pulse was racing so fast, heart felt like it would litterally come out of me.

My BP was extremely high 243/117 which is dangerously high. With 120 pulse. I was frightened, very frightened. My head was pounding so bad, chest pain, infact everywhere pain - I even got in touch

With my sister to tell her to tell my family I loved them - such a massive sense of doom came over me.

I then felt what I can only describe as a tearing pain in my mid to lower back and electric shocks firing all over me, through arms down to fingers, down legs to toes, head, you name it. It was so bad. sad

I don't know if I finally fell asleep or what but somehow these pains and symptoms finally subsided to a degree I could cope with. I SHOULD have and I know I should have phoned for help but the way I

am when ill is I want to be alone - which was absolutely ridiculous in this case. My sister didn't know the extent of my symptoms.

So I went to A & E next day, they had me on a ECG for around 4 hrs took a series of blood tests which all came back satisfactory. Gave me pain killers for the electric shock feelings & said it was probably adrenaline causing those symptoms (?)

These electric shock pains have eased considerably but are still there - They aren't pleasant especially on a night. I now have joint pain, muscle aches, fuzzy head and few other strange symptoms which I firmly believe was off that night.

I really think I went into stress overload and it hit me hard.

I went to my GP to see about it all and she ran a lot of blood tests.

Every one came back satisfactory except hormones which was abnormal, but bearing in mind I'm 51 then that's not a surprise.

She's put me on Gabapentin 600mg for nerve pain, and Naproxen 1000mg for inflammation & pain.

These are helping, thankfully.

She said I have symptoms of fibromyalgia - but doesn't that come on over months /years or maybe mine has, I'm not sure.

Or is it possible for the nervous system to be hit hard like this in a matter of hours??

Is it just simply extreme menopause?

Would an abnormal hormone test only show up menopause or could what I've experienced have affected the reading?

I had a blood test in November last yr and I was nowhere near menopause.

What happened to me that night I would never want to experience again.

I'm hoping these symptoms ease off - trying to remain positive about that!

THANK YOU for reading this, sorry it's so long. X

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Also just want to add, when this "hit" symptom happened, my body shook really badly - was like a severe fever, but thinking about it must have been shock. Sorry to go on I'm just so confused and puzzled by it all, not to mention upset and traumatised sad xx
  • Posted

Hi!

You have had so much to cope with lately. You are probably right. The symptoms read like nervous system

overload. The medication should help.

Best wishes

• Posted

Thanks for reply Sue. I just didn't know if stress can hit your nervous system in this way.

I didn't realise that such physical symptoms could come from stress like this.

I'm hoping that they ease off, though I'm thinking the damage may have been done.

Thanks again for reply

• Posted

No permanent damage. It will get better. Just be kind to yourself.

Good luck!

• Posted

Thank you smile x
    • Posted

Just replying to my own post and updating 6 months on.

I still suffer with nerve pain after this initial one night of terror back in March when had the horrendous anxiety related (?) pain in back & body went into shock..

It's not as severe, but still there.

I also have awful hot flashes which happen usually once an hour every day.

Night time is horrendous where I burn all night long - hardly sleep.

I got referred to a neurologist who said he can't understand my symptoms - that they are "odd" but I felt he wasn't taking me seriously at all.

He said they will go and that all lookalike anxiety but he's going to give me an MRI scan on 18th October to rule out my back. He is confident nothing will show up, but I'm not as sure. It was so much pain at the time that it must've done something.

Strangely though, on the whole I can cope with my back.

It's the deep deep pains I've pain left with since that night.

Deep painful bone pain, joints and nerve endings.

Once again any incite into this would be appreciated.

I'll update after MRI 

THANKS FOR READING smile 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.