Has my plantar fasciitis returned?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all

Almost a year ago to the day (strangely) was I playing football (soccer) and felt a terrible pain in my heel.  For the next few weeks I couldnt put any weight on it and was in agony.  I went to a physio who diagnosed Plantar Fasciitis as Id never heard of it.  Long story short it seemed to heel on its own and about 7 weeks later I was playing football again.

However I knew it had never truely gone away as every morning I would stretch both my calf muscles and on the side I had pf I could feel a distinct different like the the stretching of the calf was also stretching the plantar.  It actually felt quite positive and not at all painful.

Fast forward to yesterday when I went to stretch my calf, like any other day and wham.......a severe pain in heel.  NOTHING near as bad as when I did it originally but also nothing like its been for the last 10months.  Its been over 24 hours now and everytime I remotely stretch my foot up or calf it feels like its about to tear my heel.

Whats happened?  Should I stop stretching?  Is it about 'to go' again?  Will this stupid thing ever go away?  

Hope someone can help as I really thought it was either a) pretty much gone away or b) well under control

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Heel on its own....aha a freudian slip by me there (heal)
  • Posted

I Think once you have planter faciitis, you are always vulnerable to it. If it is severe pain, you may may have ruptured it. That would not be good so you might want to get it checked out.
    • Posted

Thanks for swift reply.  Its not at all painful to walk on though, only when I attempt to stretch it and then it feels like a burning pain right in back of heel where it happened before.  I guess easy option would be 'dont stretch' but im now worried its about to fully rupture again like last time ....which was not good
  • Posted

Hello Darren, it sounds to me as if you damaged your foot through playing soccer. I've never known PF to come and go when it usually is a gradual process before the PF goes. Most PF sufferers suffer heal pain the minute they step out of bed and when they've rested for a while such as sitting down watching the TV then getting up. Usually walking may be a little uncomfortable but I've never experienced anything like you concerning the stretching of the calf muscle, this to me, has never affected the feeling in my heel. My husband also had PF after doing some running but it gradually got better once he stopped the jogging and it has never come back so the only explanation is that with some people it's caused through jarring the heal whilst in others such as myself it was just one of those things as I never do that form of exercise. You should go to your GP and ask for an x-ray as it really sounds like something else.
  • Posted

Hi Darren I too had a rupture of the PF and have just had surgery post op 7 days, so too early to know if its been successful..... my advice to you would to go and get some medical advice, the burning is defnitely the PF and the heel pain, but if you only get the pain whilst doing calf stretches then that doesnt fit in with chronic PF as you know it hurts to walk on....the archilles tendon at the back of the heel is also connected to the PF I am wondering if you may be having pain from this....good luck....Kim
  • Posted

Doesn't sound like PF that I have. Sounds more like you pulled something..especially with the burning. And with PF you definately can't walk on your heel...it's quite painful. Everyone is different but I would be willing to bet its the Achilles or some ligament. Please let us know. And honestly for your sake...I hope it's not PF bc to me that's worse and takes longer than almost anything to heal...that's IF it heals. Mine hasn't yet after 18 months. But thank God its better than it was 6 months ago. 

• Posted

Darren I am a retired Nurse and the burning pain....i get lots of it is due to the nerves which also run along the bottom of the feet......I didnt even know mine had ruptured until they did an ultrasound....I could walk with a limp and the more I was on my feet the worse the pain got.....since my surgery last week I am having pain in my achilles tendon this is all connected as my surgeon pointed out on Tuesday....see someone medically trained I would not leave it.....Kim

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.