Has Orlistat changed

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi All, I took Orlistat for the first time approx 10 years ago, the results were great, the weight dropped off me! I had to be really careful with fatty foods so as not to get the really bad side effects but found that eating a certain amount of fat seemed to help get things moving and lose weight quicker! I've tried it a couple of times again in more recent years, most recently started 3 days ago, but don't seem to get any side effects and no weight loss! I've mentioned it to my Dr/nurse but it was just suggested my diet can't be very bad otherwise I'd get the side effects, I explained I tested it out on very fatty foods in the hope of side effects (fish and chips) but still nothing... at most a very slight stomach cramp/rumble and a very slight change in stool but nothing in comparison! Has the medication changed or could it be that I've built up a resistance over the years! Any suggestions on how to make the most of it greatly received 😊

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi I have been in this for over two months and have now come off it. I wasn't losing any weight and had no side effects. I am diabetic and eating a very healthy diet. The Dr told me that it's not worth me taking it as I'm not really overweight. A different Dr prescribed the meds. I was told if u are very overweight it will work but if u only have 1 or 2 stone to lose its a waste of time. Since I've come of orlistat I have lost weight and feel better. Its left me with a few problems so please be careful taking this product . hope this helps u.

• Posted

Hi, I've started taking Orlistst 4 days ago, I to am type 1 diabetic and can only eat small meals, but yesterday I went to the toilet and had the biggest bowel motion I have ever had. The fat in my belly went down quite rapidly. Does this mean it's working? I would like to know what problems this has left you with? As being a diabetic like you I am a bit concerned, also I had 2 low blood readings yesterday, but I can sort that out. Please can you let me know what problems this has left you with 

• Posted

Thanks for your response emmalou... unfortunately I have more than a couple of stones to lose, more like 5 😞

• Posted

Hi the same has happened to me! 4 years ago I tried these and the weight dropped off I lost 3-4 stone .  Tried these again 3 months ago now and nothing ! I've had no side affects either last time I ate what I wanted and still lost the weight this time I did things different and went to SlimmingWorld and that and still nothing ! I think they have changed the tablets or my body is use to them! 😕 X

• Posted

Hi Sam, yes same here, I more or less ate what I wanted but still lost weight but at times the cramps were terrible along with other side effects! 
  • Posted

After reading your post about the side effects, I started taking Orlistat 5 days ago from my doctor. I was 12st 9 on the first day I started taking them and I weighed myself today and I am now 12st 4, I can't believe that I have lost 5lb in 5 days. So I don't think the tablets have changed as I am having the side effects (very loose stools and stomach cramps)

Don't you think this much weight loss this quickly is normal? I am asking you this as you have written about having Orlistst on and off for the last 10 years and you were wondering if the tablets had changed. Well I am taking 1 x 125mg 3 times a day with food, but I only eat light food.

So I hope this helps you with the change in tablets and I hope that you could tell me about this amount of weight loss so quickly 

Jade1966 

• Posted

Sorry for the very late reply... wow that is amazing, have you made a big change to your diet? I think maybe I have just built up a resistance to the tablets as after my first month I haven't lost anything 😞

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.