Has past Opiate use permanently ruined alcohol for me?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi there,

I have a strange question that i cant find the answer for. I took Tramadol/Zydol for around 7 months for back pain, ever since i stopped taking it i cannot get the effects of alcohol e.g the buzz, euphoria. 

please note it is NOT a tolerance issue, i can drink and drink until im sick and not feel anything. (it was just to test how much i could drink/prove it wasnt tolerance)

i have been in abstinence from Tramadol for about a year now, im really worried im permanently damaged. any help or ideas why this is happening? 

thank you

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Corey... I am so sorry you had a problem with tramadol....I have been taking it for about five years, alongside other opiates.. for many health problems...I have absolutely got no problem stopping dead, I am lucky that way...however.. I was an alcoholic !!! For ten years.. I was sectioned four times..I know giving something up is difficult, I truly wish you well, hang in there...the cravings do eventually go...big hugs to you....DEIRDRE xxx
    • Posted

i dont think you understood my question. im not an addict of any substance, im talking about how alcohol does NOT work ever since i came off tramadol, i dont know whats happened to my brain.

thanks for the reply

• Posted

I don't know the answer but I would like to know. I stopped MST a month ago after 7 months and have found the same issue - managed to make myself sick by mistake, most unpleasant and embarrassing, had no idea I had drunk too much as I was very sober.

Taking a guess - Morphine causes damage to the bodies pain receptors. They say it can take years for that to fix for some people, although my experience has been about a month. I'm guessing the alcohol issue is similar/related - how long have you been clean of MST?

• Posted

I'm not really following why you are worried about the effects of alcohol.  It's an addictive poison as well.  You are better off not worrying about it and thank your lucky stars you didn't get addicted to that!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.