Has peri changed your personality?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Does anyone feel like perimenopause has given you a different perspective on life? What does your spouse, children, friends, etc. say (if anything) to, or about you? Most importantly, what do you say or feel about it? Are you less tolerant, more assertive, or the opposite? I feel as if i’ve changed quite a bit....maybe the loss of estrogen has given me more of a, “hey, what about me, it’s my turn!” attitude a lot of the time.

4 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

This is a great topic!  I have changed for sure.  I am less tolerant.  Not angry, or screaming crazy...just I demandmore help at home from my kids etc.  Also, i feel in this stage of my life, I have no problems saying NO to people...without a long drawn out explanation. I always felt like I do everything for everyone, now it’s my turn to focus on me!  Kind of liberating!  😀

• Posted

Hahaha, it sounds like we have much in common! The funny thing is when I've discussed how I had been a "people pleaser" in the past, my husband claims he never thought I had been....I'm thinking to myself that not only was I saying yes to everyone, it wasn't even noticed or appreciated! But that's ok, I've learned how to stand up for myself and speak my mind! 

• Posted

Don't know if it's peri or just been married with kids for 18 years..   I'm more shy/quiet-- don't do the social things like I did when I was younger--might be a confidence thing.  But I'm more sassy, direct at home.  Want the kids to do well in school- hound them keeping up with schoolwork, wearing sunscreen and of course eating well.  We all have chores to do to keep house up to par.  The kids do have fun with friends and sports activities.   BUT yeah maybe I've become anxious about the kids.  Need to work on 'me' more!!

• Posted

It sounds like you've fine tuned what you are willing to spend your time and energy on to the most important parts of your life. I'm the same when it comes to social activities, I just prefer to spend my limited energy on more meaningful interests, like my family/church.

• Posted

Yes, my personality has changed. I'm quieter and not as aggressive or opinionated. My family has noticed it and they don't mind it at all!! Lol! I was a very in charge and demanding person before all this started which had its good points, but I think probably had more negatives to it. Before I took on and absorbed a lot of stress and now I just let it go as best I can and put things into more perspective. I'm more calm and introspective and I enjoy things more and I notice the smaller nuances of things and enjoy small victories and nature and the beauty of life more. I appreciate my husband and kids more and certainly see the importance of the fact I am truly healthy despite the way I'm feeling now. I think I was just flying through life before. Managing the house and my kids. Just go, go, go! So for me, I see a better version of myself. I am looking forward to when all my symptoms fade and I'm feeling good again as I see the next half of my life being much more enjoyable and calm than the first half!  as much as I hate this peri mess, I'm grateful for it because without the intense feelings and symptoms I've had/ have I don't think I'd have changed my perspective. Certainly a silver lining to all this mess! 

• Posted

I think that I am more sensitive and more focused on my needs.

I was in a real shock when I diagnosed and my worst fear was about aging and body changes.

Actually I feel more secure now, hrt of course helps a lot but I think that I am in a better place. I try to live for the present and not to postpone things. 

• Posted

It sounds like you’ve used your experience in a positive, progressive way, which is what I consider wisdom😍

• Posted

Oh thank you Moody! For me menopause is a reminder that our life isn’t forever and we have to live it with the best and fullest way we can! smile
    • Posted

Vicky that’s such a good attitude. Menopause really is  a reminder of our own mortality and for us that have raised children that now is the time to focus on our health and maybe follow some dreams of our own that have been on the back burner. I also try to be a good example to my 4 daughters on the importance of self care and positive attitude. I hope they don’t have the hormonal issues that i’ve experienced but that my trials and errors might be of some help. 
  • Posted

Oh I sure have changed...become more assertive for sure. I don't take peoples crap anymore. My inlaws are getting the brunt of it... but trust me it has been a long time coming for them, lol!

• Posted

Hello,

my personality and my behavior is constantly changing depending on which day of my cycle I am...

sometimes I am fully depressed, I feel a sensation of desperation, others I am aggressive and mean to others, less patient, I think everybody are my enemies...I am not myself anymore....

But you are right, I am focusing more on my feelings, on my needs….I am learning to love myself and I am demanding respect from others....basically I think I am more experienced to understand people's intentions

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.