Has Prednisone Affected Your Eyesight?

Posted , 35 users are following.

I'd welcome hearing if Prednisone has affected your eyesight.  I've been on it almost 2 years and have had to get my prescriptions for my eye glasses changed twice, and still my eyesight will vary slightly throughout the week.  When driving things just aren't as sharp as I'd like them but still I mangage fine, similarly when reading a book my eyes just don't focus the way they use to.  I believe Prednisone causes some fluctuations in sight that can keep shifting.  Do I have this right?

6 likes, 79 replies

79 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I am finding the same problem, occasional double vision more often, blurred vision.  I have had my eyes checked because I am a tennis official and need 20/20 vision.  Dr's can't find anything wrong and I am at the point that this is attributed to prednisone.

• Posted

You would be well advised to see an ophthalmologist 

on a regular basis if you are noticing changes, whatever

the cause.

• Posted

I've been seeing my opthalmolgist twice a year and have just made another appointment.  Thanks for your suggestion Judygirl.
  • Posted

This is not on point, but I was put on  plaquenil in addition to prednisone, for about 3 months. Because of extreme light sensitivity, and the fact that it did nothing to improve my symptoms, dropped the plaquenil, and the light sensitivity dissappeared.
    • Posted

Hi Danrover, I think your comment is definitely on point and I'll discuss this with my eye dr.  Thanks.
    • Posted

Hi Leonard, If you would like the specfics of my case, plaquenil dosage, prednisone dosage, and lengths of time with symptoms, or any other data, will be happy to provide. will have to look over records and history though. My rheumatologist took me off the plaquenil after I complained about light sensitivity to the Optomologist, the eye exam ordered by rheumatologist. I think the eye exams ar part of the prednisone monitor, or plaquinal, but not sure. Have similar symptoms?
  • Posted

just coincidence...... eye test Thursday. Can't decide if problems are PMR/Pred related or simply overdoing computer use (programming). My eyes always did become tired, but now more so. Either way things aren't as they were. Harder to focus, changing from one day to next. Noddy glasses help as I can always find some angle of head to focus but that also means I work round it instead of investigating.
  • Posted

Yes!  I've had four different pairs of glasses in the last 2 1/2 years.

Went to optician today and eyes have changed yet again (fifth pair coming up!!).  The change is never severe, but enough for me to want to change my glasses.  Thanks, pred!

• Posted

Yes, my eyesight varies throughout the day.  Just had cataract surgery !  But haven't reaped the total benefits because I think prednisone is causing, blurred vision, double vision and made it hard for my eyes to focus.  They take more time.  My eye doc says that all looks fine with my eyes.  
    • Posted

That's comforting for me Linda. Glad (although sympathetic for you) that someone else has post cataract eye problems. My optician said I had "fast developing cataract" exacerbated by prednisolone - which I have been on for PMR since last June. I had my first cataract operation last week and am due for the second eye on Tuesday. But because my operated eye is scratchy , uncomfortable and the sight a bit cloudy, wondering whether I should go through with the other so soon. Have you had both eyes done and how long between operations? Heather
    • Posted

Heather,

Have you been to see your eye doctor since these symptoms have developed? I have had both eyes done. Had to wait two weeks between surgeries. With each eye, I was required to go to the eye doc for a thorough exam 24 hours after surgery and again in one week. I was on antibiotic drops in each eye and prednisolone drops in each eye for two or so weeks after each surgery. Had my second eye done on March 5. Vision in both eyes now is pretty good but I have the symptoms I described due to prednisone. I wish you the best. If you haven't been to the eye doctor yet regarding the eye you had done, he should probably know the symptoms you are having. Again, best wishes for a successful result, Linda

• Posted

I had boh eyes done a week apart in January. First op went well, eye sight was excellent  - 20/20 vision next day and I had been wearing glasses for short and long distance for many years .I was sooooo excited.

​Second op went well - 20/20 vision in both eyes next morning. I was over the moon - I would not have to wear fogged up glasses any more due to my never ending sweaty head.

​Next day deterioration set in - light sensitive - bizzare patterns when looking through glass - severe blurriness comes and goes -  and droopy Jack Nicholson eyelids. Eyesight is just so inconsistent. Maybe they should wait longer between ops for us on Pred.  

• Posted

definitely. hard to focus at times. just this morning things were blurry and it took a while to focus. definitely varies throughout the day. fun, isn't it? wink
  • Posted

Have been on preds for 9 months and during this period I have had problems with high pressure as I suffer from glaucoma.  My eyes are constantly burning and watering I limit time spent on the internet and watching T V. I have changed my glasses twice in the last 6 months but nothing seems to improve.  My Dr, doesn't seem to be able to diagnose the cause or the Eye Dept. at the local hospital.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.