Has Prednisone Affected Your Eyesight?

Posted , 35 users are following.

I'd welcome hearing if Prednisone has affected your eyesight.  I've been on it almost 2 years and have had to get my prescriptions for my eye glasses changed twice, and still my eyesight will vary slightly throughout the week.  When driving things just aren't as sharp as I'd like them but still I mangage fine, similarly when reading a book my eyes just don't focus the way they use to.  I believe Prednisone causes some fluctuations in sight that can keep shifting.  Do I have this right?

6 likes, 79 replies

79 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Just went to eye Dr.  I go every year... Had cateract in one eye but not bad enough for surgery yet.  So now cateract is still the same but by the end of the day I feel my eyes are blurry and can't see as well.  Soooo glasses need to be changed.  They have not changed in years but now which is it...PMR or Pred or combination?  

Best to all

• Posted

eyes tested yesterday, negligible change from a year ago. My specs are 3+ years old and I'm doing much more close work than last year so I'll get new ones. Didn't have the energy to buy online but might try for another pair just to see how well it works.
  • Posted

hi Leonard, unfortunately it does effect your eyesight.   Nine years after commencing taking prednisone  I had  to have cataract surgury in both eyes.   2 years later  laser treatment.   Long term use of predisone also affects your bones so hope you are taking calsium tablets.   I was on prednisone for too long i was on it for 11 years!  Make sure you've monitored.
    • Posted

thanks Dee for sharing this.  How is your eyesight today after all those procedures?  I'm seeing my eye doctor twice a year now and am taking calcium.  I take it in liquid form and wonder again if my dosage each day is enough.  Any ideas as to how much it takes in the liquid form?
    • Posted

It doesn't matter what form it is in - you need a 600mg dose twice a day, total maximum of 1200mg. You don't take extra if you forget it on one day - too much calcium is as bad for you as too little. Your liquid form will have an amount per ml and at one time you take the number of mls to give a total of 600mg. The tablets are easier in that sense - they are pre-measured.
    • Posted

Hi Leonard,  my eyesight isn't to bad had new glasses (2nd since 2011) last week.   Re calcium - I was taking Dodronal soluble - daily until last year then was put residone just once a week now.

• Posted

I have been taking prednisone since December. 15 mgs to start and have been decreasing over the last few months to 7.5 mgs. My eye sight has not been good. Blurry vision, etc. went to see the eye dr today and everything checked out fine! Had cataract surgery in September abd was told lens is in place and everything is perfect!! I know I'm not seeing as well as before and can only think it's the prednisone. 
    • Posted

Hi Sara. You will see me on this thread a year ago! I had my first cataract done this time last year (2015) and the second two weeks later. I have never felt my eyesight was right. Three eye people in England (I live in Zimbabwe where I had the operations) told me my sight was fine, with one even suggesting that the fact that I have a "shadow" over a small corner of my left eye could be psychsomatic. I cant see the TV properly and I KNOW something is wrong. So glad to hear that you have a similar condition and I am not going crazy. Is it Pred or is it PMR? Heather
    • Posted

I knew I wasn't crazy! Lol! I have had cataract surgery in both eyes and do wear one contact- monovision. My eye without the contact however, gets blurry like there is a poof of blurriness that goes across my eye. Apparently everything is fine!! My exam checked out perfect so he says. I asked about the blurriness since I had complained about this same issue last time I was there. He didn't have an answer. They even did some photos of the inner eye and said retina is attached and they see nothing! Very frustrating!! I can only guess it's the prednisone or the pmr itself. Will see the rheumatologist on the 23rd and will see what she thinks. Keep you posted!! 
    • Posted

Oh, my gosh! I have had the same problem. I had cataract surgery last February and March (2015) both eyes. I have continued to have blurry and double vision. My eyes have been checked out thoroughly, eye doc says they are fine... He doesn't see through my eyes! I guess it is the prednisone. Told my doc and he thinks it could be the prednisone.
  • Posted

I'm a 71-y-o male who started high-risk prednisone two days ago. I've had no blurring or trouble focusing, but today about 3 hours after my morning dose, I suffered diplopia for the first time in my life. It was florid but only with objects >50 ft away. It lasted about 90 minutes, then cleared spontaneously and completely.

I've taken high-dose prednisone before withOUT having diplopia. However, this time I'm also on ophthalmic prostaglandin drops for unilateral intraocular hypertension (to prevent glaucoma). The condition for which I'm on a 2-week course of prednisone is UNrelated to the eye problem.

Adverse effect of prednisone? Probably.

Drug interaction? Possibly, but because this symptom could also be secondary to MS, I'll get a medical opinion if it happens again. 

• Posted

I have been taking Prednisone for 10 weeks on a dose which has been gradually reduced from 30 mg in 5 mg steps to 15 mg this past week.  This has been to treat PMR and has been effective.  I have experienced very few side effects, in general nothing inconveniencing except for my eyes.  From time to time, and gradually more frequently until every day this past week,  I have experienced focussing problems, when viewing my screen for a few hours, and perhaps also when reading.  I can usually manage to keep going without undue discomfort, but by the end of the afternoon, when I have more extended break, I find my distance focus has gone altogether and is poor until the next morning.  Then the whole cycle begins again.  I would be interested to hear how this fits with the experience of others and whether anyone has found a solution.  One doesn't want to spend money on dozens of new specs, if the spec. will keep changing!    

• Posted

This reply is to Leonard 12916 and many others earlier in the correspondence.  

I have been on Prednisone for just over 10 weeks now and the dose has been gradually reduced from 30 mg daily to 15 mg, in 5mg steps.  This has been prescribed for PMR.  It has been very effective and there have been no side effects causing any distubance to my routine, except as affecting my eys.  

Like others, I have experienced focussing difficulties from time to time, and gradually they have become more frequent.  For the past week they have been daily.  It happens whenever I work at my desk looking at the screen.  Normally I could work for hours without problem, but now, even after only 4 hours I have trouble.  I end up during the evening, say in church, unable to focus on anything more than a few metres away. everything is double.  But by the next morning everything is fine again until the process repeats.  

As I expect to be on this medication for several months, I am wondering if I am going to need to spend money on several pairs of new specs, or whether I should see if the medication can be modified to advantage. 

Any comments/advice from those more experienced will be much appreciated.  I will also advise in due course if i find a good solution. 

• Posted

A lot of people experience blurry vision with pred but it would be a good idea to get your optician/ophthalmologist to have a look to make sure it isn't anything else. It may be your prescription has changed - and so your eyes are getting tired trying to focus.

I still have the same pair of computer specs I had before pred - and I moved them up and down my nose - a far cheaper option! They also now function as reading specs.

If you have PMR then I think your hope of "several months" is a bit optomistic, I'm afraid the more likely duration of PMR is 2 years and more. You will start to reduce the dose further - but beware, don't be persuaded to reduce in big steps because that is fraught with problems. That is the only modification of the medication you will have - and you need as much as you need to manage the symptoms and that for as long as you need it.

This is a very old thread and only those who are still following it will see your question. I would be more productive if you started a new thread with your question - just copy and paste it.

There are a few people looking in - but there was a bug last night and your post disappeared altogether for some time. There are posts on page 2 from people who got a notification but haven't seen your post.

• Posted

I've had notifications (both email and in the side bar) that pcezanne has posted here twice - but I can't find the posts anywhere! 

• Posted

Apparently there is a bug - in case the same has happened to anyone else!!!!
    • Posted

I see there are supposed to be 55 replies, but the only one I can see is your's Eileen!

• Posted

And the ones from pcezanne have disappeared - the moderator said that last night when I reported the problem! 
    • Posted

Everybody - the post from pcezanne has reappeared and is at the bottom of Page 1.

Please have a look and see if you can help!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.