Has the bottom just fallen out of my world

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have just been told by my GP that I may have T2 Diabetes. I am having a second blood test next week to confirm. Along with all my other medical problems, I did not expect to be told this. My eye sight is fine, although I do wear glasses they are only needed for reading and computer work. I have days where I feel tired but as I have an under active thyroide, I have always put it down to that. From what I have just read, it seems it could be the diabetes that is making me tired. I do have a major problem with my weight, again not helped by my thyroide problems. What can I do. I feel so alone. I haven't even told my family yet but I know they will be devastated.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Please,please do not be devastated. I'm one of 4 sisters with T2 diabetes.I was diagnosed in February having been tested and okay the previous June. My eyesight deteriorated rapidly but is now almost back to normal.I was unable to cross the room to make a cup of tea but can now mow the lawn and do some housework again.So you see it's not the end of the world.

Insist on being designated a good diabetic nurse by your GP's practice and asked to be given a monitor which you can use to give you confidence that your on the right track.Diabetes UK is a good website to use, and GOOD LUCK.

• Posted

Until you have definite confirmation that you have Type 2 then I should try not to worry. I was diagnosed with Type 2 18 years ago and I thought it was the end of my world as I knew it. My sugar levels were 22 and they wanted to put me onto insulin straight away but I said I'd like to try tablets first and it was eight years before I finally went onto insulin. I have to say that going onto insulin was much better than tablets as I am able to control my sugar levels more than I could with just tablets. I inject after every meal and also another type of long acting insulin before bed so four injections a day but they DON'T HURT (well maybe sometime if you hit a nerve) It gets so routine to inject that sometimes I wonder if I've done it or not so it's helpful to have an insulin pen that shows me when I last injected and how much. If I am in a restaurant I discreetly inject at the table as the insulin pen I have uses very short 5mm needles although the pen I had before took 4mm so no one can complain if they have a needle phobia! Apparently diabetes is covered under the Disability Discrimination Act, not that I've ever had call to use it.

My only symptom of diabetes was a raging thirst for about three days which is why I went to the doctor with a urine sample and he diagnosed me straight away. I had trouble with my eyes but didn't think it could be diabetes causing it. I needed glasses for long distances but after my sugar levels went back to normal I went the other way and needed them for reading which is why you are told not to get new glasses until your sugar levels are normal. My father had Type 2 and I diagnosed my twin sister with it and none of us are overweight, in fact I was underweight until I went onto insulin and started putting it on but still only weigh just over 9 stone.

You'll have probably heard and read about all the complications with diabetes which can happen, especially if you don't look after yourself or you carry on eating the wrong things. It's not just a case of cutting out sugary things, carbohydrates like potatoes and pasta and rice and sugar as well as other carbs are just as bad. Even the way you cook things makes a difference e.g. mashed potatoes are far worse than jacket potatoes for raising blood sugar. At least with the insulin I can give myself a bit more if I have had a bigger meal or something that I know raises my sugar. You'll get lots of checkups, far more than you would if you didn't have diabetes so having it can be an advantages (I know this sounds funny) but it should make you have a better diet, your eyes and feet are checked regularly as well. I have a friend who has Parkinsons and I have to say that if I had to have one or the other it would be diabetes every time. You may be able to control your diabetes with diet alone but if you are put onto tablets then you will get ALL your prescription items free, whether it is to do with your diabetes or not, unless of course you are over 60 when you will get your prescriptions free anyway.

Assuming you are eventually diagnosed with Type 2, diabetes is NOT the end of the world as I soon found out after the initial shock so as long as you keep your sugar levels under control and look after yourself there shouldn't be any reason why you can't live a long and happy life.

• Posted

No! The bottom has not dropped out of your world smile Really, it's ok, you just have to take care of yourself, by learning how to take care of yourself smile

I was diagnosed a year ago T2. It was a shock, I'd gone to see the GP thinking that I had a urine infection, took a urine sample, which she tested, and told me there and then that I had Diabetes.

My surgery do not prescribe testing kits for patients with Type 2 so I bought one. My Diabetic nurse sees me twice a year, but I needed to know in between how I was doing. I learned what foods were good for me, and which foods weren't. I was tense at first, and got frustrated and even angry when I found out how much sugar and carbohydrates were hidden in what seemed to be everything.

Now, I'm relaxed about it. Careful and informed in the choices I make. I do have treats occasionally. Losing weight has been a bonus. No dieting, just the natural illumination of processed foods, too much sugar and carbs.

Honestly, you will be well looked after, by the professionals, and yourself.

Good luck. smile

• Posted

Firstly, can I say a huge thank you to all, you have made me feel much more relaxed about the prospect of having diabetes. I will now 'forget' all about it until I have confirmation after the next blood test. My GP does run a diabetic clinic which I will utilise fully along with the foot clinic, I currently pay privately to have my feet done but will look forward to using the NHS one. The free prescriptions I already get because of my thyroid but it would of been something to look forward to. Now is a good time to take a good hard look at my lifestyle, even if I get the all clear, I should take this as a warning to change my lifestyle to ensure it doesn't actually happen.

Once again, many thanks and good luck to you all. Will let you know how I get on.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.