Has this happen to anyone else?

Posted , 3 users are following.

From time to time I wake up choking a bit on bits of food and stomach acid as once my throat is cleared It feels like hell fire for awhile afterwards and I chug water to help get whatever that came up to go down. Then the feeling of the burning feeling last for a hour or more. Is this common with Gerd?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hey Buddy, unfortunately that is very common with Gerd and it will only continue to get worse.  Water does not work at all.  Best thing you can do to get some relief is drink milk to get rid of that feeling right away.  How long have you had this? 
    • Posted

For it seems like a few good years. How worried should I be about this?

It doesnt help I also have anxiety problems and I am a bit of a hypochondriac. 

• Posted

Trust me, I know it sucks really bad having this issue.  I had reflux or gerd for about 12 years till I had to do something.  I had a procedure done to correct it but I know in the UK it is hard to find someone that does the procedure.  It's called Linx.  I had it done about 18 months ago and starting from day 1 it worked and I haven't had to take a PPI med since.  Maybe a tum here or there but no PPI anymore.  To be honest there really is nothing you can do to help except sleeping almost upright like nancy stated but to go through the rest of your life sleeping like that would get old rather quick.  I would talk to your Dr's about the Linx procedure and see what they say.  That is really the only sure way to get rid or reflux once and for all and no longer have to take PPI's. 

• Posted

Yes it Is! I sleep almost sitting up with three pillows! Hard to get used to but it helps!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.