Has this op and rest had any effect on emotions and diet

Posted , 9 users are following.

hi once again my lovely toe friends.... can i just ask again has this whole procedure had the effect it has had on me, because of the resting and not much excersise i feel i am not only battling with the recovery but the emotional way it makes you feel inside, i have felt rock bottom with it all, been very tearful, been eating rubbish because quick food is easy for everyone as my partner is not a cook sort of guy and i feel like i have put on weight and feel so sluggish... i feel i have also lost my spark at the moment everything is so tiring to do, getting in and out the shower i feel so tired and just like i cant be bothered with it all, i have no appetite at the moment and just seem to be living on biscuits and tea, i feel like not only do i have to deal with the recovery thing but also a emotional state of mind at the moment, having to stay at home for such long periods i dont suppose helps either... thank you all who take the time to reply i thank you so much x

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Gillee

you're early days yet, going through the emotions of 'what the @@@k have I done, I'm maimed  for life' to the same again. I felt better after the first 16 or so weeks, when I was able to go on a long walk myself (past several very good ice cream vendors) and collapse back.

and then, no looking back.

your sausage feet will return every now and again, but not as often, you'll still feel like an old man, hobbling from your bed every morning, but his age will get less and less - until you forget it hurts and you move normally.

its a very long road to walk, and at the beginning you'll limp and crawl the steps, but then you'll be upright and moving normally.

early days yet, just keep in there!

caroline xx

• Posted

hi caroline x thank you so much for getting back to me... all what you have said has been mirror image of me... i am at nearly ten weeks post op now and one foot is not too bad but the one i had bunion and hammer toe done is swollen every day, today it hurts, burns, stings and if it swells anymore it looks like its going to pop !!! every day at the moment seems the same, i am not seeing much improvement with that foot at all, if it was like the other foot id be alot more happier, but its continuous swelling everyday... plus i suppose hot weather is not helping, even though my home has cooling fans in every room its not making me feel any better... i do try to start every day being positive but after twenty mins... the swelling is there and then i have a day and evening of discomfort.... but as you say it is a long road, but i do so wish i could see some light in the tunnel.... thank you so much xx
    • Posted

Gillee

the light won't come on for another 6 weeks for you yet.

doubles take about 25% more time to reach the same place as a singleton as you haven't got a good foot to 'lean on'.

im nearly 8 months on, and today was the first day I noticed my right foot wasn't swollen when I got up.

it is now.

recovery is a test of patience, keep in there

caroline

• Posted

ohooooo what would i do without you caroline x thank you so much you always make me feel better... you certainly lift my mood, this site is better than any GP because its real people who have been there.... when i post on here i am begining to feel people will say.... not her again ! lol but the reassurance and advice has been a god send to me... you will prob here from me again caroline... lol... but when i have recovered i will stay posted on here to help others like people who are months into their recovery have helped me.... i am so glad you have woken on a sunny day and noticed good news with the right foot... what a lovely way to start the day.... its a good sign of recovery... mine now feels like bursting point again, but i am going to make myself a nice cup of tea and elevate... i do hope you have a good day tomorrow, and hey caroline.... you need to rest that foot now lol xx many thanks gillian x
    • Posted

Gillee

how are things going now?

you must be at least 14 weeks on and looking forward to your holiday.

have you asked for assisted bording? You'll get wheeled through the custom checks, and be put first on the airplane (along with your partner) It's well worth the effort of organising it and taking your crutches with you...

thinking of you

caroline

xx

• Posted

Hi Caroline, hope you are ok xx sorry only just seen your message, i am flying out on the 11th August, i see the surgeon on Tuesday who gave me the go ahead to fly, he showed me my xrays as my feet are still very swollen and sore, i have three screws in each big toe, which to be honest i did not expect to see, and again was told the swelling and sorness will take at least a year to sort out.... i have to go in house slippers as i can not get any shoes on and the numbness on the big toes is still there... to be honest with you caroline i really dont want to go, but i will let people down so i have decided to, i will be glad when i am on the way back... the recent warm weather has made my feet swell so i dread to think what marbella is going to be like, i have said i am quite happy just to stay in air conditioned villa and let them all do their own thing, and inwardly i dont feel i have the energy for all that going out in the evening lark... getting all dressed up for dinner.... ohoooo cant be doing with that right now.... my partner is very good but does sometimes tend to treat this like ohoooo come on your be ok once your out there...... i would like him to have just one day of having my feet... i have had a couple of bad days recently like dull pains shooting through toes and soreness when i try to stretch them... still so fed up with the whole thing caroline... but i will be patient and just hope some little flicker of light will shine soon... i have spent alot of money buying shoes that i thought might of done the job, stetchers, vionics, but to no avail, maybe i am expecting too much so its my primark house slippers to the ready.  I have not arranged any wheelchair assistance as i thought you had to be registered disabled for that service but i am going to call the airport, i am flying from London City Airport who are not as big as the normal Gatwick, thank you very much for that advice, i am taking crutches and then we was going to hire a wheelchair out there, thank you so much for thinking of me caroline that was very nice of you to message me, sorry about long reply but i type as fast as i talk lol.... i hope you are ok and bearing all what this brings.... i will message you when i get back in two weeks to see how you are and to let you know how i survived the hot weather and hot swelling feet lol..... kind regards gillian xx
    • Posted

Gillee

ive arranged things for my 90 yr old aunt for the airport, you don't have to be registered disabled at all. Go for it, it will make your holiday much easier, and sort it out now for both ways.

i too have a partner, well husband, who things that once you're out of the bandages everything thing is fine, I'm just over the 8 months, and having plates, pins screws, the odd hammer and pickaxe in both feet (doesn't it feel like that) I'm expected to zoom along at 20 mph down dale and up b mountains. I can manage it now, just, but the rest of the body has just given up.

when you get there, side of pool, feet up - move only to soak them in the pool, and pretend you haven't had this d@mm op. You'll be surprised how much you'll enjoy yourself, wine, slaves and sangria - I'm envious already.

caroline

xxxx

• Posted

arhhhhh thank you caroline.... yes i will let you know how i survived the hot marbella sun....i am away for two weeks to i will not be on here for a while, hope all my footie friends keep strong and postivie, cheers caroline xx
  • Posted

hi i had my surgery one week ago on friday.I already went to the doctor and had a dressing change.The foot has pain and is still bandaged,I wear the boot but it's easier without it.I have my foot  elevated and it does feel tingly,still  hurts alot and I too haven't been happy just laying here in bed.I am employed and have 6 weeks to heal.I was given pain killers but won't take them alot ,they make me sick,so I only take 1/2.

I usually take Advil or aleve,they seem to work better.I Ice my foot every 10 minutes or so,maybe 20.As far as  being bed bound,my husband cooks so,I can get a good menu,i just lost 50 lbs,and am afraid of gaining it all back again.I watch happy shows,I also quit smoking so there is a horrible yearning for a butt.

It is harder to keep thinking about this then not.I try to talk to alot of friends on the phone,i have a copule visit,and just really just read alot,movies,oh,and tomorrow I will be out of the house I am going to see Don Rickels,in Englewood NJ.I bought the tickets for my dad's birthday.That day came quick,i will tell you how it goes when I get back.I am praying it's not too bad,and I hope my dad enjoys it.Just keep praying (if you do that ) just think happy,watch happy,surround yourself with happy positive things,and people......it will get better.i will say a prayer for you......I have been experiencing some depression,but I really try to stay positive.Thanks for listening,I don't know if this will help but I hope it did.....keep in touch...EllenK

• Posted

hi ellen, thank you for your reply, yes i can see alot of logic in what you are saying, i wrote this post a couple of weeks ago and i am starting to feel abit better now i must say, i am still in quite a bit of discomfort due to the swelling and both feet are very sore still, i see the surgeon on tuesday and he told me i am looking at at least a year for recovery... not what i had thought, i am off to spain in a couple of days got the go ahead to fly so hopefully put me in a better frame of mind, but i do feel so tired still i think that comes with all the rest, but as soon as i get back i am getting on a good diet, you have done brilliant losing that weight, dont worry about putting on a bit you have good enough reason to.... once our feet are happy again so will our minds then we can get back into shape again.. keep strong and positive and enjoy Don Rickels ....... i dont know who he is but i am sure he will entertain and make your dad smile, enjoy ellen and ill let you know how my feet survived the hot weather of marbella.... xx
  • Posted

Bhutto, I am new to this forum. I had bunionectomy, hammer toe, and Mortons neuroma surgery on June 12 on my left foot. The hammer toe is really hurting today and my "well" foot is hurting as well. I'm very apprehensive because it's back to work tomorrow. Does anyone have any advice on dealing with going back to work? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.