Has Zoloft helped anybody with their perimenopause symptoms?

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hello ladies,

I was just curious if anyone has had any luck with zoloft helping their perimenopausal symptoms? I feel like i am at the end of my rope!! Ive lost so much weight, I have no appetite all of the time, I dont have taste & my tongue feels fuzzy, Im so tired of not feeling well!! I cant even make myself go places as i live 25 minutes from any town so i cant get motivated to go and when i do seem to be having an "ok" day i feel too anxious to get myself out there. I did try zoloft last year and i couldnt get past the first two weeks of side effects, I lost 10 pounds that I was never able to put back on and now ive lost even more from the peri symptoms...I need some sort of relief, but i dont want to make things worse. The last time i had headaches and fekt strange mentally for 4 months after stopping the medication. Any experiences would be helpful!

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

ABSOLUTELY. Ive been on Zoloft for years for anxiety Had to up my dose for peri it really helps

• Posted

Thanks for the reply! Im just nervous cause i know the start up side effects are brutal. And if i stop taking it then things are even worse!

• Posted

hi i was on Sertraline which looking at google is on the same par as zoloft i also felt worse after 2 weeks being on them and took a few days to get out of my system they put me on 25mg i tried morning and evening to see if it could change. i am on nothing now as i am also to scared to go on anything else all advice on here i would be grateful

• Posted

The zoloft seemed to add side effects to my peri and so i stopped taking it but now my symptoms have intensified and i wasnt sure if its just where i didnt stick with it but im too afraid to try it again..im afraid it will cause new or worsen existing symptoms but my goodness i need some relief from this hell!

• Posted

I have been on Lexapro (Escitalopram) since just after Thanksgiving and I do think it's helping. I am on a super-low dose so the first few weeks weren't awful (bit of a lower appetite, some trouble sleeping). About 3/4 weeks in, though, I noticed my insomnia (which was really my worst symptom) was just about gone - it was amazing. I went from waking up almost every morning between 2:30 and 3:30 to sleeping through the night (for the most part - I am a very light sleeper, so I do wake occasionally, but fall back to sleep). I also feel like my anxiety has decreased (although not completely gone). I still have some weird symptoms (tingling in right foot, twitchy right eye) that I worry are more than peri, but I don't feel overwhelmed by the anxiety about it like I was before.

• Posted

The last time i tried the zoloft my eye began twitching, I was on it for like two weeks and i couldnt handle the nausea and not eating so i quit taking it....thats also when the taste change and headaches started...I think the zoloft caused tge taste issues and twitching and now they are permanent!

• Posted

i tried it for 2 weeks too and just couldnt do it . i too lost a lot of weight on it . the side effects were too bad and made me feel l more anxious

• Posted

hi there - have you tried herbs like valerian? ashwaganda? or taken magnesium glycinate to ease your nervousness?

• Posted

i have tried some herbs and vitamins but they still upset my stomach and i cant eat, i wish i could find something that helps the symptoms but has no side effects. And ive also trued different forms of ginger for the nausea and it doesnt help. ive even taken dramamine !

• Posted

I couldn't get past the side effects on Zoloft. I'm currently taking Effexor in the morning(low dose) and Trazodone at night. Both are antidepressants but they are SNRI's not SSRI's like Zoloft or Lexapro. I had no side effects. I had been on Trazodone for a while, but after I had a meltdown at work and to be off for a month my doctor felt my Trazodone may need a little boost. I've been on it over a month and it is helping.

• Posted

ive been on low dose (25mg) of zoloft for anxiety since i was 50 im now about to turn 52. Im still getting regular periods. It was a b***h to start zoloft and i also lost weight when i started and then when all the side effects calmed down (about 4-5 weeks) i gained it all back plus 15 more and still gaining. It def helps w anxiety and i amost never get hot flashes/night sweats.However I get pretty much every other perimenopause symptom you could imagine. Anxiety for me is the worst tho.

• Posted

thank you for this post i was going to try my anti anxiety med again cause i wonder if it will work nowi seem to take one step forward and 2 steps back, this happens to me everytime i try to make myself feel better by taking a med. thanks for reminding me that i will probably feel worse if i take it stay strong !

• Edited

ssris are brutal to withdraw from, unless you want to be on them for life, im not a fan, they do help alot of people but for me personally they turned me into a horrible soulless person x

• Posted

halfway off them as docs had me polydrugged (long story) so alot of meds i had to come off including codeine and this was before peri, its a disgrace x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.