Hashimoto's and IBS link? Getting TPO levels checked?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi. I'm a 20 year old female and two years ago, I suddenly began experiencing frequent constipation. I did not suffer from straining or hardness, but it just seemed like my gut motility had slowed down completely. My doctor initially diagnosed me with IBS-C.

Two years later and dietary changes have not improved anything. Fibre intake has not helped. Exercise barely does anything. Probiotics didn't do much either. Recently, I've become aware of other symptoms going on as well: it seems my BMs are slowing even more. I am becoming extremely sensitive to the cold: I start feeling flu-like symptoms and can barely warm up with blankets; often, hot (hot!) showers help and the sick feeling subsides. My fingers turn blue sometimes and I get pain in my hands. I frequently get joint pain and have inflammation in my SI joint. I have dry, flaky skin. My B12 levels were so low that the reading was red on my DR's chart. I am also very low iron. I also seem to deal with chronic fatigue: 8 hours of sleep does not leave me rested, and I tried out sleeping less to see if I was over-sleeping. I get headaches (probably bc of fatigue). I'm very foggy-brained and easily forgetful and scatterbrained. I've been dealing with bouts of depression and frequent, jittery anxiety.

However: my periods are regular (I'm on birth control pills) and I don't seem to be losing too much hair. I've only gained about 4 pounds in 2-3 months. Two years ago, my TSH level was at 3.9. Should I talk to my doctor about being re-tested and get checked for Hashimoto's (TPO levels?). Does it sound like hypothyroidism or Hashimoto's? I only have one aunt who had Grave's.

I feel like my health is just declining and I'm going crazy searching for answers (I don't get to see my doctor often--it's about a 2-3 month wait between appointments). Any advice would be appreciated as I'm seeing my doctor later this month.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I have had thyroid problems for decades and to me your symptoms sound like hypothyroidism because of the constipation and your exhaustion, this would mean you are not getting enough T3 which is the activator and gives you energy. If you are on Synthroid this could be the problem, it only has T4 the storage hormone and some of us cannot convert this to T3, this is why I take Armour thyroid which has both factors. I learned this from Dr. Julian Whitaker who had a clinic in Newport beach, he is retired now. I hope this helps if that is the problem.

• Posted

I started suffering from constipation in my early 30s, despite being pescaterian so eating loads of fibre rich veggies etc. At the age of 42 I was diagnosed hypothyroid when my hair had been falling out for 5 years and I suddenly gained lots of weight.

It wasn't until I was 60 that I found out I had Hashimotos. Throughout, the constipation has been more or less constant, as has the hair loss.

I have tried various combinations of T4 only, and Armour over the years but nothing has helped with my problems. To help ease the constipation, I now take Dulcoease which softens the stool. But I have to take 3 times the recommended dose in order to see results.

I hope you get the help you need soon.

• Posted

Most, if not all, of your symptoms can be attributed to hypothyroidism. Your TSH wasn't out of range, so therefore the GP probably didn't follow up with other thyroid tests. But, most people with a TSH like yours would feel symptoms. Personally, I would go back to your GP and make sure you get the following tested:- TSH, FT3, FT4, RT3 (depending where you are in the world, UK labs rarely do the latter one but it can help show where the problem may lie) Antibody tests - TPO, TgAB.

Low B12 and iron can affect the conversion of thyroid hormones (and cause you to feel cold) so need to be optimal. I would look to your diet and make sure it is healthy and either up your intake of high B12 and iron rich foods or supplement. I hope that your GP did an Intrinsic Factor antibody test to see if you are suffering from Pernicious Anemia. If you are, you will need injections. Dont supplement until you have had that test as it can badly skew the results. Going gluten free often helps slow motility.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.