Hashimoto's with low temps, slow heart, doc not interested

Posted , 2 users are following.

Sorry this is so long.....I was diagnosed with Hashimotos 10 years ago, with high antibodies and nodular thyroid. I'm on a fairly low dose , 75mcgs of thyhroxine, which has been tweaked many times to try to get T4 and T3 both in range. as various GPs have (or have not been) interested in T3.  But I have never felt well.  Currently I have TSH in range, T4 just a tad out of range at the high end, and T3 just in range at the low end! Its the best I can do. If T4 is in range, then T3 is low.  I used to be on Mercury Pharma brand, but changed to Synthroid recently to see if a different brand would help how I feel.

Well, it has made no difference.  I still have low body temperature which ranges from 35 in the early morning, to 36.1 in the evening. Averge during the day, when I am active, is 35.8.  I am always cold, cannot cope with even a small drop in temperature. My heart rate is 45 to 50 resting, and average somewhere in the 50s when pottering about through the day. If I am active it goes up to 60 or 63., then rapidly drops down again.  I have other symptoms of hair loss, itchy dry skin, fatigue, sleep problems etc. I was also diagnosed with fibromyalgia 10 years ago. Ultrasound this year shows no change in the gland. I just feel so hypothyroid.

GP referred me to the hospital doctor who has dismissed me completely.  He insists that my thyroid is fine and Hashis controlled (seeing as my bloods are in range). He did not have any explanation for the low body temps and slow heart. He took my temp which was 36.2 in an overheated stuffy clinic, and triumphantly announced "see, its normal!". On the ECG my heart rate was 72 because I was terribly stressed (I have bad 'white coat syndrome'!). Same thing "It's normal!"  Well yes, but when I am at home, it will be a temp of 35.5 and heart rate of 48, .  Is THAT normal?  A few years ago, in that situation, stressed to the max, my temp would have been 37 at least, prob 37.3, and heart rate 90 or 100.  But this guy just wasn't interested. He also said T3 was completely irrelevant and dismissed it completely.  He noted my fibromyalgia diagnosis, and that I have sleep problems, and immediately latched onto that.  He told me that it's poor sleep causing my symptoms.  He gave me a prescription for one weeks worth of sleeping pills and a prescription for an antidepressant!.

Can anyone relate to any of this?  Am I doomed to spend the rest of my life struggling to stay warm, exhausted and sleepless? Surely it's NOT normal to have such a low body temp and slow heart sad .  I know I am sick, but I have run out of optioms of medical help. The guy I saw yesterday is the only show in town, and he thinks I'm hypochondriac (not hypothyroid and hypothermic!!)  

I have read some scientific articles that say some people remain hypothyroid even tbough bloods are in range.  If that is the case, what can be done?  Thanks for reading..

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

So sorry for you.  All I can suggest is joining one of the facebook Hashimotos support groups and seeing if anyone has similar experiences.  

I had Graves Disease and a parathyroid adenoma, so I had my thyroid removed at the same time as the adenoma...so I have hypothyroid now and rely on thyroxine.  I have fluctuating levels...find it hard to find the right dose of thyroxine.  But I sometimes go hyper and sometimes hypo...but at least my dr cares!

If you put hypothyroid into the title bar on facebook you will see a list of possible pages for you to join and hopefully they will be able to advise you.

Good luck.

• Posted

Thank you Anne. I will do as you suggest. I hope you keep well and your levels settle eventually. smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.