Hashimotos Flares

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have had Hashis for approx 2yrs, officially diagnosed 6mths ago.

I am now realizing that my 'flu' periods where i get mouth sores (OLP), arthralgia etc.. are in fact 'Flares'

They are constant during the winter months and seem to ease up a bit in the warmer months.

To anyone with Hashimotos, Are your flares constant throught winter?

How long do they usually last?

Have they increased, the longer you have had Hashis?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Trudy

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Trudy, many thyroid patients find the winter months more difficult. some patients even increase their medication in winter months.

As it gets cold, I find my thyroid symptoms flaring. last week all my teeth started hurting, gums bleeding and swollen. I took some vitamin C and other supplements to reduce the symptoms.

Thyroid disease is autoimmune in nature, When thyroxin is low, other hormone levels drop, which causes the immune system to tank. Epstein Bar virus has also been associated with thyroid disease.

What you're experiencing is pretty much par for the course with thyroid disease and with cold sores.

The mouth flares could be viral related. Vitamin C and lysine should help.

Also, with low thyroid, you frequently get low body temperature that can impede digestion and cause chronic pancreatitis. I eventually discovered that what I experienced as thyroid flares were best treated by dietary changes for chronic pancreatitis.

There are dietary recommendations specifically fir hypothyroid, which can be very helpful. Also diets specifically for chronic pancreatitis.

I have advanced thyroid disease, but didn't have longterm success with medications. In the end, I found essential amino acids were more effective than anything else I've tried. Of course good quality nutrition all the way around helps. I suspect the disease is advanced by nutritional deficiencies resulting from thyroid disease symptoms.

In the end, you may well be able to find a combination of supplements that can keep your symptoms down.

• Posted

Thank you, I was actually thinking of increasing my thyroid meds as all my symptoms seem to be coming back.. My diet has been restricted since OLP popped up for mere avoidance of pain. ( the lining of mouth becomes inflammed and open sores develop). I have been following hypo diet for quite some time but i will look up diet for chronic pancreatitis.

Appreciate the advice

• Posted

Glad to be able to offer some options.

Funny that my mouth also started hurting the last week. The vitamin C and other supplements seem to be improving things. I also started using my electric blanket at night. I find spending time in a hot jacuzzi or sauna to be extremely helpful as well.

Thyroid disease is so exhausting!

• Posted

HI Trudy

have you tried a gluten free diet, i have been on a gluten free diet over a year now, feel so much better , i havent had a flare up in past year . I bathe in epsom saalts and take alot of magnesium and vit C . I try and eat organic amd have liver ince a week for my iron/blood .. hope you feel better soon .

• Posted

hi Clare,

yes, i have been gluten free for the past 2 years. I too try to eat organic $ but i really dont like red meat.

I have persistently low platelets ( just slightly) so ive been trying to eat more salmon etc...

maybe i could disguise liver in a smoothie lol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.