Hashimotos Thyroid

Posted , 5 users are following.

An opthalmologist asked for Thyroid function tests including Thyroid antibodies test, because of some problems with my eyes. The results came out as,.my T3 and T4 are in normal range but my TSH is 8+, which is somehow elevated than normal range. (Sub-clinical Hypothyroidism, Right? ) Results of Antibody TPO and antibody TGAb came out positive and in fact the levels of these antibodies are considerably high. Hence it is Hashimoto's thyroiditis. (Plz correct me if I am wrong.) My queries are: 1) Do I still need to take thyroxine,. although T3 and T4 are normal and elevated TSH, ,(but yes I do have all symptoms of HYPOTHYROIDISM, like.weight gain, fatigue, thinning of hair, excessive dry skin, brittle nails etc. ) 2) If I start taking Thyroxine (as an endocrinologist prescribed me), so do I have to take it throughout my life time, or can I just quit it if the TSH level gets back to normal? I don't want to be on Thyroxine for the rest of life. 3) I personally think that the treatment should focus on lowering the level of antibodies instead of taking thyroxine.

Please advise.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I had a similar issue two years ago. I started drinking more water every day and it helped.
  • Posted

I have Hypothyroidism, my anti bodies were very high suggesting Hashimotos but nothing further was done to confirm this.  I was just plonked on Thyroxin.  I wish I'd taken time to discover more before taking this route, because I feel that this is now going to be a life long thing.

May I suggest that you search out Betty Dowdell, Too Pooped to Participate.  She is not a medical doctor, but has done world class research on the endocrin system and advocates a food and nutritional supplement regeme

• Posted

Hi I have hypothyroidism. I was given synthyroid and nothing was said about it might be elevated antibodies. I didn't know about it then. That it existed!!  My doctor does not test for much more than TSH. That isn't a thyroid hormone. Im thinking  that is a pituitary hormone that tells the thyroid to do something. 

Hashimotos is an autoimmune disorder. The thyroid is being attacked by the body because it thinks  that the thyroid is a foreign invader   You need to stop the attack and let the immune system calm down. 

Regular doctors don't aim for this. They only say the thyroid hormone is out of balance so let's put them on synthetic thyroid pill. That won't FIX this and you will always

Have the medicine amount raised. One main thing to stop is Gluten. That is on barley, wheat and rye.   Restaurants put wheat flour on their French  fries and in the mashed potatoes so it is hard to know where hidden gluten is. But in a study I was reason about thyroid disorder the best thing that people with Hashimptos dos was stopped eating gluten. Your body cancel but it takes time. You will most likely see results in two weeks

Stop the thyroid madness is a good site

Starting a diet as natural as possible will help. Cutting out all processed food.  Artificial colors and preservatives. Way more fruits and vegetables will help. 

Scheduled to have my blood work next week. Good luck to you😊

• Posted

Hashimoto's thyroiditis is an autoimmune disease, a disorder in which the immune system turns against the body's own tissues. In people with Hashimoto's, the immune system attacks the thyroid. This can lead to hypothyroidism, a condition in which the thyroid does not make enough hormones for the body's needs.

Located in the front of your neck, the thyroid gland makes hormones that control metabolism. This includes your heart rateand how quickly your body uses calories from the foods you eat.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.