Hashiomotos and addressing the antibody attack!

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi, I was diagnosed only yesterday and took my first pill today. I have been quite worried to hear about people's experiences levo, but more importantly I'm worried about the anti-body attacks!

I don't have many symptoms except feeling the cold - that's the main one. 

But my results were really bad: TSH 79.9, T4 6.8, AntTPO 4777.7!!!

My question is, while the thyroxine will regulate my hormone, what do people do about the anti-body attack??? I'm getting a coeliac test done, although have previously come out negative.

What do people think? I've read about functional medicine practice is to heal the gut and cut out grains, which I will certainly try. Just wondered because no one seems to be questioning this and it's the anti-bodies causing the destruction!!

Do antibody levels decrease on Levo? What do you do about this? Anyone else gluten free?

Thanks!

​Sarah.

0 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am gluten intolerant. Gluten attacks the thyroid gland
    • Posted

Have you tried 'gram' flour. It is gluten free and mixed with water it makes a pancake mix (after a fashion).
  • Posted

Hi Sarah

I would also like to pose the same question about the antibodies. I cannot get any definitive answers as to whether it is normal or otherwise to have thyroid antibodies at any level!

What does gets rid of the antibodies?

Do they requitre any form of treatment?

• Posted

Rhyroid antibodies means your immune system is attacking your thyroid so the level should be zero. Doctors don't have any treatment for it apart from steroids to dampen the immune system such as prednisolone which has serious side effects so they tend to let the attack happen and 'fix' the result with thyroxine.
    • Posted

There are a number of alternative practitioners who say that if you can create the optimum conditions for your thyroid the antibody attack can be halted. The one I like is called Izabella google 'thyroid root cause'. She is a pharmacist who claims tohave cured herself of an underactive thyroid. Register wirh her and you will get lots of free advice. Which includes going gluten free, getting vitamins and minerals optimal plus others..
    • Posted

Scary stuff this. Do you know what triggers off these attacks on the thyroid?

Could it be due to medication such as antibiotics for example.

Thanks for your replies.

• Posted

Just read on an email ny Izabella that studies have shown that 200mcg selenium can reduce the antibodies - must be worth researching! I take a multivitamin that's got this much selenium in.
    • Posted

Hi Barbara

Thanks for the info. So I can take the info to an endo do you happen to have a reference tapart from Izabella on this please?

Thanks in advance.

• Posted

Unfortunately not got another reference though it may be worth doing a 'schola r' search on google. Tpauk or the thyroid madness website might have.
    • Posted

Sorry. That should have said 'scholar' search.
  • Posted

Hello Sarah:

My name is Shelly and I am a nurse in the USA.  I have Hashimoto's disease since 1987 and I am 55.  So I have had it most of my life now.

So I can see from your blood work, you are off the charts on TPOA and TSH. When you take the thyroid medication it will help stablize the thyroid, it won't cure it but help control it.

After a period of time the TSH will go down and the antibodies will decrease in number. 

I have been on Levo and other thyroid meds.  I am on just Liothyronine now which is T3 only.  My thyroid gland was not diagnosed early enough in time and some damage is permanent for me.

You can live a good life, so don't worry. Many people take Levo and are fine. Now make sure you take it 1 hour before food and do make sure you take it on an empty belly.  Food blocks the medication from absorbing in the bowels.

It can take levo about 6 to 12 weeks to build a proper level in you.  The body is slow, and in 8 to 12 weeks they may ask you to do blood again. As you build a level bad symptoms should fade away.

Please keep us updated and if you have any questions just ask,

Shelly

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.