Hasimotos and Genital Herpes

Posted , 4 users are following.

Recently I lost my virginity to one of my very best friends that I trusted with my life. I was raised in a strict Christian background and was already feeling guilty for not waiting until marriage to have sex. At the beginning of this week I went to the doctor for symptoms of a yeast infection. My doctor took a bunch of samples and three days later I got the call from the nurse that I was herpes type 1 positive. My whole world came crashing down and I was completely devasted. I am usually the responsible, careful one and couldn't believe I had got myself into this unimaginable situation. I am having my primary outbreak and it has been absolute hell. I have so many questions and worries. It has been a lot to take in and deal with. I have been feeling extremely angry, betrayed, guilty, confused and depressed. The only thing keeping me from totally falling apart through this incredibly physically and emotionally painful experience is being able to confide in my closest girl friends and my supportive mother. It was so hard to tell her but I'm glad that I did. In addition, I have an autoimmune diesease called hasimotos hypothyroidistis where my thyroid does not regulate my hormones correctly and I have a weakened immune system in a nutshell. I have been reading that people with weak immune systems get hit hard by this virus. I'm wondering if I'm the only one out here with this dual condition. I'm very anxious and just want to feel like a normal girl again. I feel like I have let my friends and family down. I am only 20 years old. Please if anyone has remedies or advice on how to deal with this virus emotionally and physically I am all ears and desperate at this point.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

*hashimotos // stupid autocorrect
  • Posted

Genital HSV1 is usually not that bothersome beyond the first outbreak. It rarely recurs for most people and is not particularly infectious. Many people carry it, though usually orally and without ever experiencing symptoms. I would focus on getting over your first outbreak, but then trying not to overly worry about it unless you are one of the few who gets regular outbreaks with gHSV1. Odds are you won't. Genital HSV2 is the one that can be more problematic.

• Posted

Thank you! I'm still confused how I got it because my partner said he was tested (urine, feces, hair, skin, and blood tests) and it came back negative but the ONLY other person I have been with sexually was at least five months ago and we only did oral. Is it possible the first partner gave it to me and if so why did my current partner not contract it if it is as contagious as everyone says and we had unprotected sex multiple times. He has also had several partners before me and probably around four just this year... I have know this guy and trusted him but I really can't tell if he's lying to cover his ass or not.

• Posted

There is no faeces or hair test for herpes, that's for sure! Only swab (guess that's skin), blood (IgG antibodies) and, less commonly, urine. I'd ask to see his results, if he was telling you that! Genital HSV1 is nearly always from oral sex, but *odds* are it's from the person you were with around a week before the first outbreak. However, that doesn't mean you can fully rule out the guy from a few months ago. As mentioned genital HSV1 is not very infectious and even gHSV2 does not pass each time. Some people with positive partners never get it, or not for months or years. It all depends.

• Posted

You aren't alone. I have hashimotos as well. I have tested positive with 1 and 2 but never had an outbreak. Both if which came from sex with my unfaithful husband. Stress will always be the bane of your health issues. Try to understand you are not defined by your illnesses. It sucks that you are dealing with this, but sounds like you have a great support system. Keep yourself healthy...minimize your stress and keep in touch with your healthcare professionals.//hugs

• Posted

Thank you very much! It is encouraging to know I'm not the only one! And I'm sorry you had to deal with that sad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.