Have a master's degree--still having trouble finding and keeping job

Posted , 2 users are following.

I was diagnosed with ASD as an adult. 

I currently hold a master's in Education, and I've tried working as a teacher, but there were so many unwritten rules that I couldn't really navigate. For example, I didn't think I was ever assigned a mentor teacher, because my principal didn't call her that. I refused to ask questions because I thought I was bugging people or drawing attention to my own incompetence, I had a lot of trouble relating to the kids, etc. 

Obviously, teaching isn't something I'm cut out for given my disorder. I'm in my 30's, though, and I would like to find an area of competency that will help me support myself and pay off my student loans. 

I signed up for help through the vocational rehabilitation center, but I still have this nagging fear that they won't find a good match for me. 

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Try, try, try again.  Also ask questions, if not for you, but for the person next to you who may want to ask but is too scared to do so.  So if you have issues with children, don't teach them.  You could just as easily teach adults at a college.  Do not let your disorder run your life.  It isn't a curse, it's a gift.  You just need to work out what things you do better than mr and mrs normal and what you do worse.  Then create a set of rules to deal with those situations.

I have Aspergers.  I have part of a degree.  Have an inability to hold down a job for more than maybe 9 months before getting bored and leaving.  I have worked in IT (partial degree was in Network Engineering), have worked in a supermarket, have worked in warehouses (and can drive 4 different forklifts), i was also a roadie for many years.  I am not an office person.  I have to find things interesting in my job continually or I dump it and move on to something else.  I can and will seek out interesting things to do and learn while working.  I have been seeking a job for a creative thinker for years, but still haven't found it.  Maybe one day.

The main thing you need to do is stay positive.  Lose the nagging fear.  If in the end teaching doesn't cut it for you, re-train.  Their is no point making yourself unhappy by trying to conform when you can't.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.