Have Anemia

Posted , 6 users are following.

I’ve always given blood for years but a lot of times I was rejected for low iron. This late time I tried, it showed really low so I went and bloodwork and it was very low, my white count was high and my ferritin was low.  I had no rectal bleeding or any bleeding and I had a stool culture for infection and a test for hidden blood - all negative.  Cat scan also negative. Dr put me on iron supplements and said he was going to send me to a hematologist also.  My anxiety has been so high I’ve been losing weight , not too much appetite and I’m just terrified this is a cancer. I’ve had IBS symptoms for many years - always loose stool or diarrhea but I don’t know if that would just suddenly cause this.  Very stressed and scared.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi Wendy,try not to be too worried,I felt iller and iller a year ago, no bleeding that I knew of. Went for blood tests and both Haemoglobin and ferritin were very low. Iron was 8.3. Had a gastroscopy and found four ulcers, they must have been bleeding for around a year. After taking lanzaprozole for three months my levels were back to normal.
    • Posted

Thank you so much , I’m trying to not think the worst but I tend to what is f and catastrophize and what if. Not too bad during day but I wake up at 2 am so anxious about it , I can’t breathe. I’m going to start counseling it’s that bad. Hope it all ends up ok, thanks for the reply! 
  • Posted

Wendy, I just went through a similar situation. Take one step at a time. The hemotologist will get to the bottom of this. See if he will give you a anti anxiety med. A small dose to take the edge off. You may have to have a colonoscopy and endoscopy. Both tests are easy and not painfull. Good luck!

• Posted

Most likely it is related to the IBS. If your iron does not go up on an iron pill. get infusions directly into your vein thats what I did and it actually worked, the pills did nothing for me. Im thinking the IBS is actually an overgrowth of bacteria preventing me from absorbing iron and other vitamins and minerals. I don't think you have cancer. Try the supplements, then ask for infusions if they don't work. Low iron and other mineral deficiencies can cause anxiety- don't be too harsh on yourself. Take care of yourself, run bloodworm to rule out cancer and stuff so you can stop thinking about it. God bless

]

• Posted

Thank you for the kind and reassuring words. The anxiety had been so bad to the point I’m going to a therapist Monday. I’m sure it’ll all end up fine but it’s been a rough 3 weeks since this started
  • Posted

WOW!!!

I’ve been dealing with same issue since 2012 except instead of loosing weight, I’m gaining weight. I’m getting hemroids removed in Aug. but I know that’s not gonna stop bleeding. Causes extreme stress n anxiety!!! Hang in there!

• Posted

I was in the process of trying to lose weight and was doing my normal lose a few gain a few till all of a sudden , loss of appetite and losing. I guess it’s all related to the anemia and anxiety but boy am I concerned. Hope all goes well with you. 
  • Posted

Well I had black streaks coming out of my stool yesterday so it concerned me and I told my dr. Now I have to have a colonoscopy and endoscopy, I guess to rule out any bleeding there causing my anemia but now I’m freaked out that they will find cancer. I’m just can’t take too much more stress and anxiety. Help! 
    • Posted

Wendy....try not to panic. One day at a time. If you are taking iron ypur stool may be black from that. You may want to take a small dose of anti anxiety meds. The tests are not bad. Good luck.

• Posted

I’m not afraid of the tests really because of sedation, it’s what they’ll did that terrifies me what with my weight loss. That could be from anemia or anxiety both since I don’t have a lot of appetite but I have a cancer phobia and I google so I’m so scared. Thank you for listening! 
    • Posted

What they’ll show I meant
    • Posted

I am sure the weight loss is due to anxiety. When I'm happy and calm on comes the weight. If you appitite is not good just make sure that what you eat is nutritious.

• Posted

What kinda black streaks are u referring to?
    • Posted

It was loose stool like balls, normal color with black things extending from it. Looked like legs. Very precise and straight on all of them. I guess Dr thought it was blood cause now w I’m gaving a colonoscopy but it didn’t look like it. Too precise like someone drew them with a sharpie 
  • Posted

I know how anxious this makes you! I'm sorry you're having such a difficult time. How are you now? Any better?

• Posted

Thank you for asking but not really. I’m hyper aware of everything in and on my body so I think I feel something in my breast. Going today to get checked out so of course I’m scared and panicky. I just want to feel normal again .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.