Have been a serious health anxiety sufferer

Posted , 5 users are following.

for months. Numerous trips to the ER, test after test after test, and everything came back fine. BUT this post is here to offer a bit of hope! I haven't been on the forums in a while, which is a good sign of how well I've been doing- I used to be on twenty times a day to reassure myself that I was not alone in my symptoms. I was put on an antidepressant that made things 100x worse. FINALLY I went to see a psychiatrist who put me on a new med. I was skeptical at first because googling this medication sent me to sites about how horrible detoxing was from it and side effects etc, but nothing could be worse than how I was already feeling. Let me tell you, I wish I had never worried about trying it! I have been panic attack free for nearly a month now. I spend my days washing dishes and laundry for my husband and playing with our daughter instead of spending hours of my time and energy on worrying about every tiny fluctuation in my body.

I guess I'm here to say two things: one, there is hope. This can be overcome. And two: don't be afraid to try medication! I know many people fear the detox and side effects like I did, but odds are the medication will help more than it will harm. I am finally feeling back to my old self, and I KNOW it's from the medication.

God bless y'all, and speedy recovery!

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

really plsd. to hear a success storu. well done you. could u say what medication did the trick?

with thanks

Caitlin

• Posted

Caitlin it is a drug called Pristiq. The generic and "similar" drugs (Effexor, cymbalta, etc) didn't work for some reason but I've finally found success with this one. Like I said, there are lots of reviews online about it and its class of drug that say it's terrible but I have had nothing but amazing results. Don't let reviews of medications online scare you away from trying them. Lots of researchers and doctors have put in lots of hours to get these medications ready for us- it's worth it to try them!
  • Posted

Hi!

This makes wonderful reading. Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience for the benefit of us all. Your words will bring hope to the hopeless.

Bless you pal.  :-)

• Posted

HI, This is tRUly brilliant news, it proves that medication can help a great, great deal....I was like you and various pills have turned my life around ..I can function again...all the best wishes in the world to you...Deirdre xxx
  • Posted

Thank you all! I feel like reading success stories on here really helped me to feel like maybe there was an end to the vicious cycle, so I thought I'd share my own. It's still a work in progress- I occasionally begin to start an anxiety-driven thought process, but the medication has made it so that I can STOP the thoughts instead of being a slave to them! I hope everyone can experience this kind of success.
  • Posted

Great to see a positive topic on anixtey :-) gives us all a little hope that things can get better.

My mirtazapine just ain't doing much I feel worse on it, but the gp insists I keep taking it etc. I really want to be off but having failed after three months cutting to half I couldn't cope with the intense wd symptoms. One gp gave me sertilaine to try instead when I told them I feel groggy constantly on these mirtazapine. But ive been too scared to try taper over etc. My anxity is pretty bad and not getting any better I feel I might have no option but to try something else just to get me off this mirt. Then hopefully when I'm ready to come off its easier then coming of these mirtazapine. But then a apart of me thinks I don't want anymore meds messing with my body like this again. I won't go out or anything at the moment my anxity is just constant plus worry making it worse. Health anxity through the roof. But i do feel positive posts like yours give us a little hope that we can work with this silly emotion that's gone abit awol ha.

Thanks for sharing and we'll done :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.