have been diagnosed with hypertension, doctor has prescribed rimipril1.25

Posted , 10 users are following.

i haven,t taken any yet as am very frightened off the side effects that i have read about . i have bought myself a blood pressure monitor ,but i am very anxious and every time i take my pressure it keeps going up and is now higher than ever ,is there any advice as to what is the best medication to take and should i ask for a 24hr monitor before taking medication . i am going on holiday in 4 days time only my second ever holiday abroad and do not want complications with either the medication or the hypertension 

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi there this bp thing is a nightmare if you are a anxious person I know that because I am, some days keep taking pressure and it goes up and up all due to worry of the outcome, think your relaxed and your not... only advice I can give is take the pills scary as it is and stop taking your bp when you get an acceptable reading and keep that reading in your head. not the high numbers.. sometimes home bp monoitors can give you alot of reassurance and we all know what else  they can do cause alot of worry.  How high was your pressure? may be it is white coat that you have!  Have a great holiday take the bp pills you will know its under control then and when you get back  ask for a monitor, you might get good news that it is onlt whit coat..
    • Posted

thank you helen your reply was very helpfull ,i can not get the idea of high blood pressure out of my head it came out of the blue , it was not very high 160/90 but i used to have low pressure and my family history convinced the dr to put me on meds, unfortunatly since i know of my hypertension i have taken readings of 178/114 think this is all down to me getting anxious,my heart is pounding and tight band round my head . have had the rimipiril 2 weeks but think i will start them after my hols am due back at dr,s on Thursday for an ECG may discuss it with nurse and perhaps will start them on thurs night if pressure really high .
    • Posted

sounds like anxiety to me marilyn esp 178/114  amazing how high worry can make it go, as long as you are not going to spoil your hols thinking about it, peace of mind is what you need.. good luck
  • Posted

Hi, I would start medication as soon as possible, the dosage is very low anyway so you shouldn't have any side effects, on your return from holiday your GP should monitor your BP and see what's going on, I started medication before going abroad and it took four different types of tablets before a correct balance was found that was probably around three months after I came home,so enjoy your holiday and don't worry.
    • Posted

thank you for your reply was good to hear you took your medication before a holiday 
  • Posted

Hi Marilyn

At the end of the day you have got to take something because hypertension is a silent killer. I believe you don't want to be admitted while you should be enjoying your holiday.

• Posted

Ramipril takes a while for it to start working, and 1.5 is a very low dose. Also if you are going abroad make sure that you have let your travel insurance know that you have hypertension as it is easy to cover, but you need to declare it. This may also be why you need to take your meds before you go as you have been diagnosed and prescribed. I know I found it hard to accept I had high BP, but it is something I needed to face and take control off. It can be well controlled if you take charge smile .. My BP was 220/110 at my last review it was 118/75 but that was after 1 and half years of being in charge of my BP, taking my meds and trying (though not always succeeding!) to live a healthy life.

Have a great holiday.

• Posted

Hello there are you taking ramiprill that is a gret result  I had to stop it really bad cough,  atenolol did the trick for me but it still goes up if I get stressed which is very often .. I worry about my pressure and ofcourse that makes it worse  take care
    • Posted

Helen - I was diagnosed with Conn's syndrome which meant I produce too much aldosterone which leads to High BP. I was put on Spirolactone and it brought my BP down as it helps control the aldosterone. I was on the ramipril and 3 other tablets for a year and bP was around 170/100 before the spirolactone finally brought it down and now means I only need two tablets.
  • Posted

Hi its very important that you take the pills as the consequences of not taking them could be far worse unfortunately i have had some side affects with b/p pills but have not been on the one that youve been given my advice would be start taking them and if you have any probs make an appt and go back am starting new pills today myself always remember if you have any issues your nurse/doctor will help you 
    • Posted

Yeah? A doctor told me, We don't really treat hypertension at this practice. If we did we would see no other patients. You need to pester to get any proper investigations and normally they lead to nothing as very few people have an underlying condition as a cause. The more drugs ramdomly thrown at you the more side effects. Eventually most people settle on one with bearable side effects.

Hospitals tell me that miine is well controlled, as I have said on other discussions that they only bother about the average over 24 hours. I have wide fluctuations from 210/110 (still after 14 years) down to yesterday a low of 67/57 about three hours later.

There are too many of us treat. Diabetes patients are better looked after as surgeries get extra funds for looking after them.

• Posted

67/57 these are very low readings does it stay that way long?  I have just been diagnosed with fat in my liver which is a bit of a shock as I have lost 3 stones in weight last year, but do eat alot of sugar and think this is the cause.. so its 30mins a day on the  bike for me very unfit tho... green tea and no carbs but ~I do not have diabetes  any one else got a fatty liver?
    • Posted

Hi derek i have only been at my new doctors for 3 weeks and can say as far as my b/p is concerned the doctors have been really good after all b/p is very important as i think most people are aware of the consequences of what can happen and if a doctor isnt concerned then i would consider moving to a new surgery
    • Posted

"67/57 these are very low readings does it stay that way long"

Not that long but it can happen several times a month. Of course it may happen at other times when I have not taken a reading. If it does that after sittng for half an hour why does it shoot up during the night except when having a 24 hour monitor that prevents me from sleeping.  

I wait until it has done a reading and go to bed knowning that it will be an hour before going off again. The first one wakens me up and I never really sleep again.

Same when I was in hospital having my aortic valve replaced and being monitored 24/7. Chest discomfort, noise and lights in the ward kept m awake most of the night and my BP stayed low.

• Posted

My previous one was the same.

Of course it could be with your new one that you have not yet become a BP nuisance like me as mine fluctuates so wildly and with ocasional high heart rates instead on my normal low 40's.

I have an appointment with a Hypertension Referal Centre but I am not holding my breath that they will perform any miracles on such a long term condition. 

I once applied to get on to a drug companies trial of a new drug prior to which they would do multitudes of test before and during the trial. Problem was that you had to be drug free for twelve weeks before being accepted. That seemed a risk to far.

One GP suggested that as many drugs had not helped that I should try a month without to see what happened. My BP levelled out around 168/88 so still too high and after two weeks I went back on meds. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.