have been on this drug for many years

Posted , 4 users are following.

Firstly id like to say hi to you all.  Iam on citalopram 40mgs a the moment but it has been less.I have several health issues so my doctor wants me to come off this drug as she is unable to give me good pain relief as cital thats what i call my happy pills wont mix well with them .I wonder how other people felt coming off them and if they have any wise coping methods .Right from the start i have had a great thirst ,terrible sweats and difficulty sleeping and the most vivid dreams ,but as i

have fibromyalgia ,ulcerative colitos ,etc etc no one seems able to pinpoint whats effecting me .Thanks for reading .I wish you a peaceful day .bigggg huuugggs

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

HI Karen,

I just posted on how it feels to come off Cit. Here's my post again:

Hi everyone. Thought I'd put in my two cents worth about coming off citalopram.

Brief history....unstable childhood (2 divorces, stepmother from hell, abuse)....wasn't until 4 years ago when a loved one died that I truly grasped the concept of depression.....but since then I've been prone to low moods, low self-esteem, made worse by a lot of supressed anger and bad stuff from childhood. 

Earlier this year (May) I went to a psych and I was really looking for a quick fix for the depression because I had to resign myself to tying myself down to a city I hate and a job I was very wary about for one year to get some financial stability again. Doc prescribed citalopram, beta blockers and benzos. 

Around the beginning of September, I realised that the more benzos I tooked, the more I was hooked. Also felt the citalopram only helping mildly, but not to say not at all. I also had a major family crisis and work was getting on my nerves, so I really felt these meds weren't worth it.

Anyway, 2 weeks ago I decided to come off cold turkey from all (my shrink was in another country and unresponsive to emails so I wasn't sure of my course of action)......since then.....can't remember feeling so low, agitated, overemotional, intolerant to heat, other people etc......numerous breakdowns, anger fits, massive fights with my girlfriend, irritable with my poor innocent cats, and yes.....a suicide attempt. Failed obviously :-) My self-esteem is low as it is, and I suddenly felt the hopelessness of it all last weekend when I was at a friend's house and was the only person in the room who no-one was talking to.....I used to take a lot of ecstasy and MDMA and speed at the end of last year, and this feels like a more prolonged comedown from those (extreme emotional fluctuations, crying at the drop of a hat - or in my case the drop of a beat when I listen to music).

I still feel like crap, although I'm slowly getting my sexual desire back (which helps me sleep at least!), and am taking protein shakes to focus myself on my gym efforts more. I've started seeing a pyschotherapist here so hopefully that helps, but not sure how long this will last. I do have a spate of holidays coming up in a month, so I'm sure my coping mechanisms will be better around then, but I feel it might be a long road. Bottom line is I don't want to get back on citalopram or benzos on a regular basis again.

Anyway I hope this at least helps someone to relate the kind of hell it is coming off meds.....I'm going to focus on getting healed through psychotherapy, yoga, and will look into things like mindfulness.....

If I wasn't irritable, had low self-esteem and fluctuating moods before, coming off Cit has made it even more pronounced!

I emailed the psychiatrist and he said to 'Please restart Citalopram' which I know is not the cure because I don't want to have chemical dependence anymore. I'm also seeing a psychotherapist locally, so hopefully she gives me some coping mechanisms. 

Unfortunately I think just bearing it while it passes is the biggest coping mechanism. Not fun, but I wish you strength in your battle. 

• Posted

karen my advice is to come of them slowly i have went cold turkey not the way to go in my third week side affects horrendous but they are slowly subsiding i was doing it slowly but got fed up so styopped altogether  doctor nshould advice this to you good luck and hope you feel better soon xxx

• Posted

and ksren see if your doctor can put youin touch with apsychologist while coming of them hears that helps as well good luck again xxx

• Posted

Hi Karen,  I'm also on cit. and klonopin.  i cant get rid of depression or anxiety.  I've been reading alot about klonopin is a depressant and supresses feelings.  I am slowly weaning off 2mgs of klonopin.  i hope its the answer. Its been too long and i want my life back.  Has anyone heard this about  klonopin.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.