Have been prescribed Venlafaxin 75mg today.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Having read all the side effects people have had or having taking this drug. I am very concerned. About 8 years ago I was on 40mg of citroplam as the strong medication I was taking needed something to counteract the depression it would cause. Eventually I weaned myself off after taking it for about 18 months. Due to other issues including stress related my GP has given me the Venlafaxine 75mg. I also tried Prozac about 13 years ago and initially it was ok but after about 6 weeks I became quite agressive. I know there is no 'instant' and if I take it I will start it in the morning. I know everyone is different but there seems to be a recurring theme of people getting sweaty and other nasty symptoms. However I trust my GP implicitly but I don't know if I would prefer to try and keep going. I have been like this since THR replacement 4 months ago and need another op in the New Year. I have stomach problems too which are also being addressed plus domestic issues and haven't had a decent nights sleep in months and find it difficult to get out. The question is are they worth taking? There seem to be more cons then pros with weight gain as well, so any help would be appreciated. My husband hates anti depressants especially because the way the affected me last time. Many thanks. LB

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lucy belle

All I can say is that I take 75mg of Effexor (slow release version) twice a day and don't get any side effects apart from a dry mouth, which could be caused by blood pressure tablets. I've actually lost about a stone since I've been taking it without dieting. I sleep well and wake up feeling happy about the day ahead. I've stopped feeling anxious and worrying about things that might never happen or really don't matter anyway. It definitely works for me and makes life so much more enjoyable. Hope it does the same for you.

• Posted

Hi April

Did you start off on a lower dose?

Mine is one 37.5mg for first weeks

Then 2 tablets a day

Also slow release variety .

I know I shouldn't been putting my hopes just on medication , i read somewhere that they give people venflaxine when the other antidepressants don't work ?

Pleased to now they are helping you

I'll just have to wait and see how I feel

Best wishes.

• Posted

Hi LucyBelle

Different circumstances but I was on 40mg of citalopram

Was given as part of treatment from stop drinking alcohol ,the GP said it would also help with my anxiety .

Was on it for three years or thereabouts , I left my last job while still taking it

But when I found a new job eventually i decided to tell my doctor I wanted to come off it .

Even though they was going put me on sertraline because they said sometimes the medication stops working after time ( im not sure it really did help me tbh ...just tired me out) anyhow I was put back on it 5 weeks back and have not felt any benefit ,plus had terrible stomach

I've now been put on 37.5mg of venlafaxine since this Monday

But due to go up to 2x 37.5 after 2 weeks, yeah I've read loads of bad stuff about the side effects too

So I'm worried

But I felt the most anxious I've ever been on Monday morning

Been signed off work

With depression/anxiety

I think I need to concentrate on what good They hopefully will do

Coming off them sounds rough too

But that's just projecting into the future which isn't very good for you .

Good luck with the venaflaxine .

• Posted

Thank you Gary. I know everyone is different and I hope they work for you. Citroplam for me were awful so hopefully these may help. I haven't been sleeping well for months and think my iron levels are very low and am waiting for the results. I may hold off just to make sure. Good luck with you recovery. LB

• Posted

I have been taking 75 mg XR since June and it's worked wonders for me. I have very little anxiety; I can function again. I haven't gained any weight. I do sweat a bit while I sleep, but not all the time. That's really about it. I will gladly trade a little night sweat to feel better again. It took about a week for the initial side effects to go away, and although I had some immediate relief from my anxiety, it took about 4 weeks for its full effect. Good luck!

• Posted

Many thanks for getting back to me. Funnily enough I feel a bit better just talking about it.

Thanks LB

• Posted

Hown are you getting on now LucyBelle ?

Gary.

• Posted

Hello Gary. Thanks for asking. Have still held off. Waiting for iron test results. Take care.
  • Posted

Your welcome LucyBelle

Hope the tests are okay

Wish you a peaceful evening.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.