Have been suffering/managing for a long time... just realised what it is.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello all,

New to the group and the subject, so please be gentle. I think Anxiety is something I have been dealing with for many years, but only recently have been able to put a name to it. My issues are more physical than mental i think, although I am beginning to understand that the two are very connected.

I have always been a very confident person and never acknowledged that I might be Anxious or that I might suffer from Anxiety. But my partner insists that this is what I am dealing with. 

My symptoms are palpitations, flushes and head sweats. It is getting worse and I even struggle with some family events. This weekend, I took the family to spend a sunday lunch with my parents and after a few standard awkward comments by my mother which started the prickley heat rising up my face , the waiter dropped a tray of drinks and I had to leave to cool down outside.

I do not have anxious thoughts, so much, just anxious reactions....

At my partners behest, I have an appointment with the GP on Monday and wanted to sound you out to see if I am on the right track.

Really do not want to take medication, not least because the side effects for most of them sound awful, but also because I am already on medication for IBS and acid reflux. I now also wonder if this is related....

It really effects my work life. When I have to go to meetings with clients, when I am waiting to be seen, the head sweats start and then I am wheeled into a small room to sit opposite a stranger and the sweats get worse. I am not nervous about seeing this person (I am usually quite excited), just very uncomfortable/claustophobic and it takes me a long while to get things under control.

Please let me know how is best to approach this.

Thanks very much in advance...

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi lucky , I understand you I too am going through severe physical anxiety, a list of sensations happen to me weekly , I also do not want to take meds because I'm afraid of the horrible side affects so I just take vitamins ,and I have acid reflux but I believe it came from the anxiety because this when it all started , hope you get better soon

• Posted

Thanks Jenni!

The acid reflux thing has been ongoing for years! Take Omeprozole for it and manage my IBS with Alverin. Docs recently told me there is no real way to come off these... The fact that you also think the reflux is because of the anxiety has made me even more keen to try and get on top of it - it might be a way to sort the stomach issues I manage.

I am thinking diet and exercise would be a good start to avoid meds... also going to stop drinking (I am partial to a beer or wine after work which can become a bottle all too quick).

Been reading today about lemon and ginger tea as an alternative to coffee and a good way to start the day.... going to give this a try too.

My biggest problem is sticking to change... but if I can knock the reflux and anxiety symptoms on the head - that is a massive motivator.

• Posted

Yes in deed , you'll been just fine , it just takes hard work and dedication to.overcome and manage that's all , we just have to retrain our brains

• Posted

Hello Luckywinner.  I can relate to your symptoms, I suffer with them myself along with shaky legs !!! I am prescribed a very mild dose, 10mg, of Citalopram which has helped with the original panic attacks I was suffering with. However, I recently had some blood tests done and the result was that I am Vitamin D deficient. I did some research on this and discovered that a lot of the symptoms I have been having, particularly the sweats, are in fact a symptom of Vitamin D deficiency. I am now taking a supplement prescribed by my GP. Just thought you may be interested in this.Luv Lily
    • Posted

Thanks Lily... this is great insight. As you can see in my reply to Jenni above, I am on Omeprozole, which is a stomach acid inhibitor. One of the things you have to watch out for when taking these long term is vitamin D and magnesium deficiencies... Because you are stopping the production of acid (to prevent indigestion), you are stopping the stomach from absorbing all it needs to.

I am now going to ask the doc to check my blood on Monday with this in mind.

It would be wonderful to find out that this is all related and I might be able to start dealing with symptoms by taking supplements rather than more meds.

Feeling better - thank you both.

I hope your supplement prescription is doing the job... please keep me posted!

• Posted

Glad I could help in some small way. Anxiety is no "walk in the park" and we need all the help we can get !!!! I must admit I am feeling a tad more energetic since starting my Vitamin capsules, although they do take a few months to really kick in. But I checked out the Vitamin deficiency forum on here and could relate to a lot of posts on there which made me feel better. Check it out.!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.