Have been using Borax for a few weeks

Posted , 12 users are following.

But is that all I use? After using borax rinse, do I need to use a moisturizer?

Is using just the borax enough?

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

• Posted

I use organic castor oil with lemongrass and lavender essential oil (1T castor oil, 1 drop lemongrass and 3 drops lavender) or I use emu oil.
    • Posted

Thanks. But do you use a steroid cream of anykind?

Or does the above treatment stop the itching & all the rest of it?

• Posted

Hi, Hydromel ointment is good to use, personally i would not use borax as it is a harsh detergent and in time can cause more damage, also i was told by a consultant at hospital to have a quick shower instead of a bath.
    • Posted

That's not good news to the thousands of women using Borax with excellent results. I'm one of them.

I have to google " Medical uses for Borax" someone told me it has all kinds of benefits healthwise. But I will see what I can find out about it not being safe. Thanks for the info. I tried getting Hydromel, my pharm. said I can't get it in Canada. So I moisturize with perrins naturals & use borax rinse.

• Posted

I have read that seveal women in the FB group I belong to use a Borax soak. The general rule is if your lichen areas are DRY, moisturize. If wet use a powder. I use Nystop powder. Aquaphor for a moisturizer. I personally do not use Borax.
    • Posted

Hi, do you use a steroid cream to control the lichen?

Like the itching etc?

Thanks

• Posted

Thanks. I haven't used it for over 6 months. Just hoping I don't get any bad flare ups. So far using Borax , then Perrins Naturals at night, I get very little itching.

• Posted

Hi Helen,

There is a lot of misinformation out there about borax (sodium borate).  First of all, it is not a harsh detergent, it is a naturally occurring mineral, which when added to detergent, boosts its power.  It does this by changing the ph Balance of the water. It is used in a number of products, including cosmetics, bath salts, and some vitamin supplements, etc.  Check it out online.  It's pretty amazing.  One of the ladies here, mentioned that she'd read that a major pharmaceutical company is working on a treatment for LS, and it will include borax. 

Secondly, if borax can cause more damage, then why are women on this site reporting wonderful improvements?  I've been using it now for a year and 3 months, and it's been a godsend for me. 

I usually don't follow it with a moisturizer, but each of us is different.  Try it both ways and see which one works for you.

One last thing--from other women's reports and the "advice" they've been given, it's clear that most healthcare professionals aren't exactly authorities on LS, since it is still relatively uncommon. Not all of us can tolerate steroids, or choose not to use them. This site has helped me heal without the use of steroids. By pooling our knowledge we are helping each other.

• Posted

Very thankful I flounder this site! I was a mess using steroids and the borax/soda bath soak was a game changer for me!
    • Posted

Wonderful Odiee!  It's so great to share these victories with others who are just joining this site and are going through the stress and fear that we have all experienced.

• Posted

Definitely!!! I have incorporated essential oils with castor oil and it works wonders! I'm so glad I don't have to use steroid cream that only made it burn worse after prolonged use.

• Posted

I'm wondering if anyone is drinking a solution of Borax. I googled "Medical uses for Borax" from there you can go to dif. sites, all say borax is good for a lot of ills when taken internally. I think I read on this forum of women that are taking it that way as well as baths. It's banned in the EU so some think it might be banned in Canada, especially if the Big Pharma gets a hold of it. Then we'll only get by presc. I'm stocking up on it. Would like to hear from someone using it internally

• Posted

I think my last message was interfered with. Don't know why. I wanted to know if anyone was using Borax internally. It's a weak solution.

• Posted

Hi, can I have more information about the borax/soda bath soak, please? I live in the UK, what should I purchase and what quantities of products to I add to the bath?

(I've had a biopsy which confirmed LS, but that was back in May and I've not been prescribed anything to treat it so taking matters into my own hands!)

• Posted

Hi Anna, could you tell me how to use my new packet of Borax powder?  I havent used it before but am keen to try, am I right in thinking you add a spoonfull to a shallow bath and just sit in the water and let it work its majic?  Do I rinse after the soak and how exactly does it help, how does it work with LS if used non orally?  I have also begun taking Boron suppliments daily as I have heard so much positive news about it.  Thanks for your advice!!
    • Posted

Hi

I am in the Uk as well and was prescribed Dermovate which is a steroid cream but it really has saved me as the itching was unbearable and it all looked so awful but the cream helped me tremendously and I would not be without it unless my symptoms really dissapeared.  However, a year later I really want to tackle it with a more long term view, hence the use of Borax.

• Posted

I could not face drinking the solution but I have found Boron suppliments that I have just started taking. We will see what happens over the next few weeks.
    • Posted

I'm really trying to avoid steroids and estrogen unless absolutely necessary; I'd just rather treat myself homoeopathically as I also have hypothyroidism.

I've read a book called The Autoimmune Fix, banished gluten, dairy and sugar, and now avoiding all grains and night shades for a month.

I just need something to apply topically! Looking forward to trying the borax.

• Posted

Same here. Mine arrived today so I'm going to put some in the bath tonight, not sure how to apply it otherwise. People talk about spraying it on but I don't understand if you wipe it off after or Ieave it on for a while or what. Do you have any idea?

• Posted

Hi Dee, At first (almost a year and a half ago) I just swabbed on a solution twice a day, once in the morning and then again at night.  The solution is not an exact measurement.  You just stir the borax in (any size) container of water slowly until it no longer disolves.  I use a baby food size jar and add about 1/8th teaspoon to it.  I keep in in the refrigerator and it lasts quite a while.  After I started seeing improvement, I added borax to my bath water, about 1/6 cup and soak for 15-20 minutes while listening to soothing music. I alternate between borax and baking soda baths (1/3 cup baking soda/bicarbinate of soda).  You don't need to rinse afterwards. I still swab on the solution on days I don't use the borax in the bath.

I think borax helps by changing the ph Balance of the water, and therefore our vulvas.  Urine can be acidic and it iritates our extremely sensitive tissues.  That's my take on it anyway.  I haven't really seen any documentation on how it works.

Let us know how the boron supplements work for you!

• Posted

Hi, is the boron together with calcium & magnesium? I can't find boron seperate, seems to come with the other 2 . What's the mcg. or mg. of each tablet? Would like to know if it works for you.

• Posted

Hi, I bought a well nown brand, the brown bottle with the gold label, my answer might get taken off if I mention the brand, anyway, they do a Boron suppliment and I take that with one of their Zinc and one of their Magnesium pills, I read that yu must take these to help the boron.   I will do an update in a few weeks time if I notce any changes.
    • Posted

Do you need to take magnesium if you're having regular Epsom Salt baths?

• Posted

No idea, I was going to ask you!

I guess you leave it on? 😬

• Posted

I put some in the bath last night with some baking powder and saw there were alot of the crystals left in the water when I emptied it but I suppose some of it must disolve...?  Anyway, my skin felt lovely and sof after.  Today im going to soak a flannel in the liquid i have made in a bottle so its more concentrated and place that on me privates for ten mins or so  and then a bath tomorrow night etc etc.  Worth experimenting with.  Im going on holiday in a week and dont think i will be able to do it while im abroad, they might wonder what the white powder is at check in!!  Will just have to keep using my steroid cream while away.
    • Posted

😂Yes, best not to try and clear customs with an unidebtified white powder!

I really hope it works for you! Waiting for mine to arrive.....

• Posted

Hi Anna I agree with your comments! I've only just read about using borax and niavely tried to buy it locally only to be told it's banned here in UK , US & EU !? So I desperately need to get something as my condition had flared up ! What am I looking for online, have you bought some, if so where please ??

• Posted

It is a laundry detergent additive. Used to whiten and brighten clothes. Also to kill cockroaches. Many US super markets sell it in the detergent aisle. Cheap
    • Posted

Hi Kate,

I'm sorry it's not available in the UK. Try to search on-line for sodium borate - that's what Borax is. It's also known as sodium tetraborate, or disodium tetraborate. I'm in the US and ordered some from a chemistry supply company before I realized I could buy it in the grocery store here (as borax). I believe there have been others in the UK who had luck buying it on-line, but I'm not sure where they ordered it from.  Amazon maybe?

Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.