Have bronchiectasis and wake up every morning with sore tips and mucus in throat. Husband says my br

Posted , 2 users are following.

Also when I walk to the mail box first thing in morning it takes about 15 minutes to get breathing back. Why does this happen in morning

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

with me it is all down to mucus hat has shifted and collected overnight, I find sitting on the edge of my bed and doing the daily huffing and deep coughs this helps to clear the lungs of rubbish that had collected over night
    • Posted

I will try that Because I get up usually once at night n first thing I morning n gargle then spit in commode to clear it. If really strains my throat.
    • Posted

Well: Cathy that is all you can do just make sure you have a clearance once a day this prevents sepsis setting in is a respiratory nurse looking after you and what treatment do you get?  Mine got me put on carbocysteine a great drug that helps in chest clearance and i am not sure if you are under a salt team?
    • Posted

No my palmanary doctor has not bee doing anything about it for years it started in the top of right lung back in 2009 and the only think I've been on is spireva daily and atbuteral as needed. Have gab several bouts with pluresy and pneumonia over the years and in August was hospitalize for pneumonia n the CT showed I had it in both lungs now n worse in the left lung. Now after pushing my doc I'm still on Spiriva and nebulizer w levaibuterol inhalation 3 times a day n was using the acapella vibration but I'm a 24 yr cancer head n neck cancer survivor on feeding tube do to late radiation damage from back then that I really have to strain to get mucus from the back of my throat. Which tears my throat up and gives me ear aches so I guit the acapella. Went for second opinion n put on azithomyacin 500 3x a week.

• Posted

Also wake up a lot of mornings w sore ribs
    • Posted

well that disgusts me really it does in the last 5 years my COPD has got worse I see the hospital doctor 4 times a year, my COPD nurse once a year and my oxygen nurse about 4-5 times a year my bronchiectasis is in my lower left lung a pseudocoma in my right lung which has pneumonia attached and the dreaded MRSA I am on doxycycline once a day as my prophylactic antibiotic.
    • Posted

Yes it sounds like they're keeping a handle on it. They did brochiscopy after pneumonia n found two different bacterial infections and had me on two different antibiotics at different times one of which caused tendinitis. I'm trying to get enough info to make suggestions to my pulmonary Doctor as I had organized pneumonia in 1994 and had to have my right lower lobe removed do I'm doing as much as possible to stabilize it

• Posted

After seeing my GP last week we are trying a different method of attack when or if I feel an attack coming on I send a sputum sample in and take it from the results bearing in mind I used to be on a course of antibiotics once or twice a month dangers from keeping pace with such therapy is C.D iffficile
    • Posted

Yes they're suppose to be setting up an appt to discuss the best and I'm going to ask about getting the sterile cups so they can do the sputum test every so often to catch infection before they get to the fever stage and will also ask about carbocysteine. I really got a lot of info n appreciate it. When I asked my doc what kind of shape my lungs were in he said they were like a toilet bowl and my GP said I was in last stage lung desease which didn't tell me a whole lot.

• Posted

not helpful at all i must say by your Dr saying end stage lung disease does not mean that is the end for you heck no you could go on for quite a few years yet
    • Posted

Yes this I know but I want to do all in my power to keep it from progressing faster then it should n just don't feel my doc has handle on it. In all the years I've had it I never had a sputum Tess til this last go round of pneumonia and I was walking an hour every day which I'm trying to work back to. In 92 I had a 13% chance of making it 5 years n here I am so the diagnosis doesn't bother me but I don't want to sit back and know later that there were things I could have done.

I really appreciate your input and have started a list of suggestions and questions to go over w my doc like the med carbocysteine and why breathing is worse the first hour in morning, increased shortness of breath off n on during the day. I was able to walk a half marathon on Mother's Day n I'm working on trying to get back to that. I got two miles in last weed so I'm off to a good start Again I really appreciate your comments I'm learning more from you then my docs and that's a shame. Have a great day and enjoy life

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.