Have COPD and poss Bronchiectsasis

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi Everyone I'm a new member and would like to benefit from your knowledge and advice. Had COPD for a couple of years and take amoxycillin and doxycyline for the infections that come along, dont take both at the same time but usuallyalternate between infections.Lately the infections have become more often and GP now referred me for a scan

to check for bronchie....waiting for it. In both conditions it seems that the

most important things  to do are lung clearance of the phlegm and breathing excercises. Haven't progressed into any devices yet but have read of such things as 'flutter' 'accapella' 'aerosure' etc....

Wont do anything till I get the  scan.

Thanks for reading and I welcome any replies.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Welcome Gordon,

You'll learn a lot from this forum, I have.  And it's good support to be able to chat with people who have the same illness. 

I was diagnosied with Bronchiectasis three years ago, after having breathing/lung issues 27 yrs ago.  I was diagnosied first with allergies, asthma, then COPD and had a CT scan to correctly diagnose.  I think the medical field fell short in understanding COPD and the difference of Bronchiectasis.

I live in the states, I use a nebulizer with sodium choride, albuderal. I have a vest that I wear that 'pounds' on my chest, and a flutter valve, do lung clearance posturing, exercise, etc. I'm also on a low dosage long term antibiotics. I take turmeric and Manuka honey every day.

I takes a lot of time, but it's important to keep the lungs clear.

Welcome again, Beth

• Posted

Hi Beth, Thanks for your reply. The vibrating vest you have, do you know if they are available worldwide,I'm in the UK.

Regards Gordon

• Posted

I don't know if they are available in the UK.  With the responses that I read from people from the UK, that they are not aware of it.

The company brand of mine is Hill-Rom, I would think this company is world wide. There are several USA based medical equipement companies that, I would think, are world wide, Medronics, General Electric, Medline, Zimmer to name a few. I got this machine when I was working, so my insurance paid for most of the cost.

You could Googl it and see what you can come up with, Beth

• Posted

I been diagnosed with bronchiectasis this year. I start having Adair and singular. Doctor did not mention anything about clear my lung. The size of effective lung is .8 and I do not know if I start flutter or any other physiotherapy methods. Please advice me if it is better to start now
    • Posted

hello beth peter new here . i read that you take turmeric. could i ask what amount you take daily as this herb i find interesting  i take 1 teaspoon a day in yogort.  anything that helps.! thanks
    • Posted

Peter,

There is a person in this forum that seemed very knowledgable about the use of turmeric, I think his web name is 'Swavy'.  He recommends taking about 1/2 a teaspoon twice a day, along with pepper (pepper inhances the effectiveness of the anti-inflammatory properties of turmeric). I get it in capule form, I take 1,000 mg twice a day with about 1/4 teaspoon of ground pepper or 6-9 peppercorns.

Beth

• Posted

Bela,

It's best to stay on top of things and keep the lungs as clear as possible.

Physiotherapy and the flutter valve will help.  I know from experence, that if I start to slack off the exercises and nebulizer, that things can go from so-so to a trip to the hospital real quick.

There is a lot of websites on the internet that shows different breathing exercises, posturing to drain the lungs, etc.

You can learn a lot even from this forum.

Stay healthy, Beth

• Posted

great thank you so much i will seach his name black pepper enhances it by 20 times they say.:----green med info lots of infro on this site. anything that works !! lol. peter
  • Posted

HELLO GORDON, are they giveing you carbocistine? for clearence do u have a lot of mucus?  i use a salt pipe and herbal teas thyme and others can help thin it drink lots  of water i dehydrate a lotx  lemon honey and gingerroot in hot water helps too.!!  i have antibiotics too at home. i stay away from mucus froming foods.too it can be very frustrateing. but learn to pace yourself . good food lots rest plus right exercise. hang in there. peter
    • Posted

Hi Pete.Thanks for your reply,yes I do use carbocistine along with Seretide 2puffs daily and tiotropium 1puff in mornings.I haven't found out yet which foods are mucus forming but I'm sure I'll learn much on here.

Regards Gordon

• Posted

Hi Gordon

I use an acapella to clear the mucus but exercise is key. There are days when you won't feel like exerting and that's fine but when you well try and go swimming/walking/cycling this will all help. I nebulise hypertonic saline to shift the mucus also I take carbocistine. Manuka honey is also good for your immune system. I take fostair for my asthma & ventolin as an when needed.

This forum is full of great advice and information so keep asking as many questions as you need to there will always be someone happy to help!

Good luck with your scan.

Keep me posted.

Rachel

• Posted

Hi Rachel,, thanks for your reply, I'm sure I'll learn much on here.

Regards Gordon

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.