Have Costo, am new to group- having stomach pain

Posted , 6 users are following.

Greetings- I've been reading the posts here for a couple of weeks but just joined & wanted to introduce myself and thank this group for the great info! I was diagnosed with Costo about 3 months ago. I won't go into all my experiences because they are similar to most of those here. 

Just one question for now: does anyone experience upper stomach or abdomen pain from Costo? My doctor determined that it isn't gastro, that is, I do have some upset from taking NSAIDs (I don't take much) but when I get a bad flare up of Costo it often extends to my upper, middle abdomen. I assume this is the Costo affecting my sternum area but if affects my appetite and even digestion I think. I haven't read about others having this (or maybe I've just not read them yet). 

The Costo has changed my whole life and I feel determined to beat it. I've gotten many great ideas here & am implementing some of them: exercises, diet, Omega 3 from high-grade fish oil, etc. But often the pain is so bad that I have to take something for immediate relief. All the NSAIDs hurt my stomach too much except for aspirin. Surprisingly aspirin helps a lot, but I’m worried about taking too much. I tried Diclofenac pills and they worked like a miracle and I thought I had the answer for immediate pain relief, but the next day my stomach was devastated. So my doctor just prescribed Diclofenac 1% gel. Hopefully it will work without hurting my stomach. 

Well, I did not mean to go on so long, I will post more in future. Thanks again to all here! Like so many have said, this is a baffling condition and very, very frustrating. I’ll suddenly have almost no pain for like 2 days, then it hits hard again! And contrary to most medical literature on the subject, it does NOT go away in a week or two, as I was told & read on ‘official’ sites, and as everyone here knows as well. Every day is a challenge & it really affects your rhythm and flow, even with the most ordinary functions. Well thanks again for this group!

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Stephen,

Long time sufferer here!

I too have stomach issues so use voltarol and ibuprofen gel but that sometimes gives me an upset stomach anyway!

I find that eating plenty before taking anything helps or if in a rush a big glass of milk... Avoid anything high in iron and keep an eye on your vitamin d levels as taking painkillers over a long period of time can affect your ability to absorb nutrients (I ended up severely anaemic)

Hope that helps!

Marie

• Posted

Thanks so much! It definitely helps! I want to start on vitamin D but there is so much info out there I don't know what kind, a good brand, etc. Do you have any suggestions? Also, are there any other supplements that could help ? Thanks?

• Posted

Hi there,

D3 and if youre in Britain, the best I have found is Baldwins own brand at about £17 a bottle. They are high dose (10000mg I think) so more useful than the usual rubbish. I'm sure you have read it elsewhere but the Backpod was the best thing I ever got to deal with Costo. All the best.

• Posted

Thank you! I'll check out the Baldwins and I'm definitely going to try the Backpod as so many people have gotten good results from it. Thanks again!

• Posted

Was diagnosed about 3 years ago. Naproxen helped me a lot. It started flaring up again and am also having issues with my stomache. Hopefully will go away again.
  • Posted

Yeah I get that alot.. Not sure why stomach gets pains aswell with costocondrits.
    • Posted

From what I've researched, it seems that some of the stomach pain could actually be coming from the sternum area, which is in the center and above the stomach area. Costo affects the sternum as well as the ribs, so it may be radiating out from there and only seem to be the stomach. But I'm certainly not sure about this. Costo is such a strange condition that I'm not 100% sure about very much... except that it hurts like hell! 

• Posted

It sure dose hurt i cant even tense anymore ive noticed it causes pian on and below my sternum its called the xiphoid process its a small bone down there aswell it also causes pain and that is right at the start of the stomach. Maybe thats where the stomach pain is radiating from i will see my GP on Thursday and post back what he says to me mate.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.