Have diverticulitis ....just finished meds.....I am wondering if I could get help with my diet.....

Posted , 11 users are following.

I just finished meds......I found they really bothered my stomach. I am wondering if I can get help with my diet.  I started back taking boiled eggs, grapes, bananas, apples, fish, baked potatoes, tea.....am very nervous over it all......would love someone to discuss all this with...much appreciated.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

If you have diverticular disease, particularly after a bout of diverticulitis, then at all costs I would recommend you avoid eating anything with skins and pips or seeds. These get stuck in the gut and cause the infection. Peel apples, don't eat potato skins, don't eat grapes, bananas are ok. If you are worried about fibre then get your doctor to prescribe fybogel, or buy it over the counter. Take 2 a day to start, and then down to 1. I have found this has worked fairly well for me. Once you are feeling much better reintroduce things occasionally and see how it goes.
    • Posted

I have found it is important to take things slowly.   Scrambled eggs, mashed potatoes with gravy, rice pudding and gradually introduce more food.  I have just finished my meds tonight and like am struggling in what to eat.  I take two Fibogel every day and that helps ,also have started back on Ala Vera juice which I take with my favourite juice.

Hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

Thank you so much Alexandra, it is very much appreciated. I tale apples and banana, but didn't realize grapes are out.....I will stop. I read probiotics is suppose to be good after the antibiotics are finished. Do you know anything on that.  Thanks in advance.
  • Posted

I have heard people recommend probiotic tablets but haven't tried them myself. Take a look through other threads of this forum and you may find useful info. The divi diners discussion is interesting and useful in places. It's trial and error much of the time and as Eleanor says, take it slowly. Good luck.
    • Posted

I take 2 probiotics each day.  I buy them fro Holland and Barrett.  I have found that the staff in all their shops are highly trained to answer any questions.   Any time I'm in doubt about my condition I go along and ask them for help and advice on which products to try.

Also Ala Vera juice is very good.but a bit pricey.

• Posted

thank you so much.....I have never heard of  ala Vera juice...since I just finished meds, I want to be so careful in what I eat....very scary.

• Edited

Probitotics are very helpful.. I go with the Flora Pro-Health 30 billion. They truly are a huge help as well as the fiber.
  • Posted

Oh yes.. every day. I am pretty much eating what I want now within reason. I cannot eat pizza, spagetti, chili.. anything with orange grease. Those are my triggers. The fiber, probotics keep things in check. It has been 5 months since I started my daily routine and I was having problems every few weeks.. so it does work. A pain but it works for me.
    • Posted

Thank you Sam....my husband told me pizza was bad....I am taking mashed potatoes, little chicken, Spinish, fish for supper.....breakfast...English muffin, egg.  Soup for lunch and fruit with my meals......I am still not sure about seedless grapes and if the peal is bad for you....if it's not too personal can u fill me in on what you take in the run of a day please and thank you very much and of course I stay away from seeds, nuts and popcorn.
  • Posted

Hi no problem... I think fruit and vegtable skins are not a good idea. I stay away from popcorn that I love and tomato skins. Typical day:

Breakfast-scrambled eggs and a little salsa..toast or oatmeal and or grits

Lunch--baked pototo with lots of squeezed lemon and little butter.. salt and pepper

grilled lean pork chop or chicken

or fruit smoothie no skins or use a squeezer for fruit and or veggies

Dinner--Small piece steak.. brocolli with lemon..potato in any form except fried

in fact no fried anything.

Sometimes plain sandwich with little meat. 

Sherbert is good for me also.

I would suggest avoid fried or greased food

I am having some Gummy Bears right now... in moderation.

If I can think of anything else I will let you know.

I am sure others here can add some other foods to add or subtract.

• Posted

A million thanks Sam.......very much appreciated.wish I had a gummy bear...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.