Have hip pain after PKR.

Posted , 8 users are following.

I had partial knee replacement a month ago.  My knee is doing well, except going down steps.  

The worst part is the hip pain that I have.  I sometimes can barely walk--not because of my knee--but my hip!

I don't want to take pain killers, but I understand about the codeine.  I'm still taking Oxycontin.  Not as much as after surgery, but more than I want.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I'd probably talk to your dr. About your hip if it doesn't improve soon.  I too had a partial knee replacement last summer.  I think it takes our bodies times to adjust to a proper walk again....but I don't have some of the expertise some of the forum members have.  Right now I'm feeling like I'm stupid from the last conversation here about  partial knee replacements....for actually not doing a full replacement.  I trusted my surgeon and perhaps I was wrong.  Right now I personally feel I've done what was best for me, so sometimes you have to trust your own gut and your professionals....so hopefully I can continue to move positively forward. Good luck with the knee and hip.
  • Posted

I also have hip pain . .partly, I think, because when going down stairs to avoid hurting the knee I probably use my hp more than I should . . My knee is still painful on going down stairs (19 weeks) and I begin to despair that it will ever stop hurting!  sometimes I walk with a stick because of the hip pain and ankle pain more than the knee!  the knee is fine for walking. . with only one painful point when it clicks. . .It certainly is a long, arduous job!  I really do NOT want to go through a hip replacement, so I hope it isn't osteoarthritis there as well . . . . . 
  • Posted

It's a huge difference mistake to worry about pain meds. Comfort is the 1st step to healing. Many, like you, have tried to stop nearly cold cold turkey with disastrous results. Unless you are as close to pain free as possible you can't and won't except use properly. You aren't going to get addicted as long as you are taking them as the Dr ordered. Oxycontin is a time release oxycodone. Gets into the system quickly and lasts for an extended period of time. The problem associated with it is that kids steal it from their parents and chew them to get high. Take your meds as prescribed and you'll be just fine. I took that drug when I ha radiation and was able to quit when the pain got better. Continue all the protocols established by docs and therapists. You are still way too early to be trying to establish your own. From what others on here who have undergone pkr have said, recovery isn't a whole lot less complicated than total but their docs were a little cavalier about the entire healing process. Again, you are still very early in the process. Give it another month and see how much you have improved. The body is going to tell you and you aren't going to be able to out think or out Fox the healing process. Stay with this forum and you'll get guidance you won't get from docs and therapistand therapists who have never had the surgery
    • Posted

Thank you, thank you!

My expectations were waaaay to high for after surgery recovery.  I'm back to work on a modified basis; had no idea how long the pain would last; and have pushed myself to get better.  I didn't want to be a wimp.  Thank you for your words of wisdom and taking some of the pressure off. . .

• Posted

hi  i think you have pain in your hip probably because your not putting all your weight on your knee as its sore when you dont put your foot to the floor properly it effects other parts of the body with me its my ankle or my back but now since i upt the physio my ankle is not bothering and my back is improving .dont worry about taking pain killers i was like you not wanting to get fond of them ,but since things didnt go right for me after my bi lateral knee replacement i had no choice but take them now im nearly off them at this stage i take them to work harder on physio dont be a hero trying to do with out its so early days for you 4 wks down the road your doing great most liklely no problem with hip
  • Posted

I was really worried about my hip too, and had myself convinced that I was going to need a new hip. I spoke to my PT and she determined it was the hamstring. Sure enough, after several  great massages... My hip got better. Lol. Take it easy and and give your body some talc.
  • Posted

Be sure that you are walking correctly with your new knee. Heel down first followed by the rest of your foot. I have had a lot of assistance from an Osteopath. Very gentle movements but great results. Nothing like chiropractors.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.