Have Hydrocele -- Weighing My Options

Posted , 24 users are following.

I (a 42-year-old male) was diagnosed with a left testicle hydrocele a few months ago and was told I don't need the surgery, but can get it if I ever decide I want it. This website is the only place I've been able to find discussions on this topic, and from what I have read, it doesn't sound like anyone gets amazing results from the surgery. It sounds like most people find that the testicle with the hydrocele ends up being just as big as it was before the surgery, sometimes bigger, plus because of the way it gets stitched up, it doesn't hang normally and has hard spots. Does anyone disagree with this?

It occurred to me that people who have better experiences with the surgery may be less likely to post here, i.e., maybe we're more likely to hear from the men who weren't pleased with the post-surgery results. Is there anyone who is highly satisfied with the results of the surgery, especially anyone who had the surgery one or more years ago? I would really like to hear more success stories, if there are any, from men one or more years post-surgery.

In all honesty this has been one of the most stressful things I have ever experienced. I find myself ruminating about this all the time, to the point that it's sometimes hard to even think about anything else. I just want this damn thing to go away! I'm debating getting the surgery, but am worried that I may end up worse off based on comments I've read on here. I've yet to see even one before and after picture. I just wish there were more information out there on this.

For a while I was thinking about the idea of wrapping something around the hydrocele for a few months to keep it restricted, so that the excess fluid would be forced to be reabsorbed, which would hopefully increase the rate of reabsorption and make the hydrocele go away. I found a device called the Bull Bag made by a company called Perfect Fit; apparently it's a sex toy, but basically it wraps around your balls. I got one and tried it for a day, but it was very uncomfortable, and the testicle with the hydrocele kept coming out. I'm thinking now of maybe trying to constrict the testicle with some kind of cloth underwear device.

Currently my left hydrocele is about twice as big as the right one. I really want to get it back to normal.

Any comments, feedback, advice, etc., will be very much appreciated.

0 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Simple safe low cost fix

Aspirate with injection of a scarring antibiotic called , sorry  forgot the spelling but sounds like dyoxicyclan

Results as good or very close to surgery 

Urologist will say no but find one who does it and do it . 

Mine was 28 ounces and gone in three months 

• Posted

doxycycline is a safe drug but order in advance due to it coming in powder form 

Do not listen to the urologist 

One procedure is 300 the other is 3000 and no better 

• Posted

Ive been following your post and I have a hydrocele too., and it is an annoyance as it makes pants fit oddly tight there. Mine is around the size of an orange. I am unclear how it worked out with with the anti-biotic in your case, if you opted for it.

I have read that some folks had very bad results from surgery so I am really not keen for that solution. I aam ready to try the non-surgical route if someone has had success. Please let me know, Thanks!

• Posted

Anyone doing surgery has drunk the coolade. Donot do it . Not repeat not necessary . 
  • Posted

Hi, I just had my surgery done couple days ago.I would say pain 2/10 and more of a sore bit of swelling.I would say go for surgery which is the best option.
  • Posted

I waited 3 years from initial diagnosis but got tonsize if a small grapefruit and really felt like no option left.

Currently 5 days post surgery, testifies is massively reduced in size and only very slightly bigger than the other one. Was expecting lots of pain but really it’s been minimal - stitches can pull a bit and occasional ache but honestly less painful than before surgery and nothing like I feared at all.

Sorry to hear that others have had more issues but in the interests of balance thought I should share what has been a very very positive experience so far anyway.

• Posted

Put up with mine for 3 years with increasing levels of discomfort.  Had operation 3 weeks ago, virtually pain-free, slightly larger than the other side but almost “normal” now and feels great.  I think you’re right that people are more likely to post when they’ve had a bad experience - for each person to make up his own mind of course but for me it’s been a massive success ( UK based - Urologist is called Dan Burke)
  • Posted

My father had this procedure done in December 2017.  It was horrific from day 1 - after we'd been told this is a 'routine surgery' and NO cause for concerns when his scrotum swelled up to the size of a LARGE softball - and would not subside.  The drain tube was removed 4 days post-op - however the swelling got worse and worse and worse.  Long story short - my father was back and forth for the next 4 weeks - the doctor RE-inserted the drain tube - still to no avail on the swelling.  Then hard lumps started forming and his penis began swelling as well.  Went back to dr and dr did emergency surgery the following day (1/3/18).  My father had to have his right testicle REMOVED, and has about a 4 inch incision across his scrotum closed with staples.  Also, they did about a 5 inch incision at his belt/belly line and that is also closed with staples.  He is in the hospital on mega strong antibiotics and is in miserable pain and on morphine.  This is so wrong.  I am thinking heavily about a lawsuit.  This has just been such a complete disaster and I feel so sorry for him.  (He is 70 years old ..) .... 

• Posted

Bendito - I feel just like you did when you first posted this

My hydrocele seems to be communicating (open channel from abdomen to testicle, filling when awake and draining back into abdomen when laying down) so aspiration will not work in my case as it will just fill back up.  Being 36 and single this is weighing on me (literally) quite a bit.  The hydrocele is considered "small" though its not small to me.  My nuts are large anyways but this one is 2-3x as large, very heavy feeling, hanging low, and is stretching out my sack.  I've had a hydrocele since I was a child and it never affected my life much other than occasional pain in my 20s. Over the last year and a half it started really getting in the way of things (literally).  Discomfort, embarrassment, lack of physical activity. Blah,  I dont want to make things worse either, but i know it will just get worse if i do nothing.  Doc says he dosent recommend surgery because it isn't the size of a softball, but will be more than happy to do it.  I was actually lined up to do it and then i chickened out after reading up of things.  He said "i made the right choice".  I dont feel like living with this is the right choice either since it is killing my physical and sexual life.  Im never comfortable. EVER.  My self esteem is crap and this is starting to affect me mentally. What to do what to do?

• Posted

have you contacted Dr. Levine? see my post below about my experience. i got 'aspiration & sclerotherapy' with Dr. Levine in Chicago, & my hydrocele is gone gone gone, for several months now. amazing.

• Edited

Hey gang... I’m a 50 yr old w a hydrocele. I’m fit, good diet, otherwise healthy. Appeared about six years ago. Getting pretty tired of dealing with it and really curious about sclerotherapy with doxicillan rather than hydrocelectomy (although I guess I’ curious about that too - specifically, post-op experience.) Anyone tried sclerotherapy? FYI I was originally examined by urologist who confirmed just your basic version, and that aspiration alone rarely is permanent. That I know: I self aspirate about once per month. 50ml or so average. Lots and lots of reading on how to do it before I tried, and first few times were VERY nerve wracking. But done properly and carefully, not really a big deal after a few times. In and out in under 5 min, back in action immediately. Just looking for more permanent solution I guess since it’s clearly not clearing up on its own. I would love a non-surgical option if it had a high rate of success. Published studies show inconsistent results. Anyone with first hand experience, hit me back! Note: DO NOT SELF ASPIRATE WITHOUT A COMPLETE UNDERSTANDING OF HOW TO DO IT.  It’s possible, and offers immediate, non-surgical relief, but is not for the uninformed nor faint of heart. You don’t want to mess around!
    • Posted

Can you send me a link to bronson dot sean at a yahoo email for the forums on self aspiration. I read them all a year or more ago and started self aspirating, just with a 19 or 21 g needle. But now I am having trouble with the needle when I draw on the large srynge (50ml I think) it back pressures as if something is plugging the needle. Tried it in a bowl of alcohol and it draws fluid super slow with back pressure as if the needle is a one way valve. Cannot figure out what I am doing wrong. I used to get 100 to 150 ml each time. Do it every few months.
    • Posted

I’m afraid I don’t have those sites anymore Sean... I’d be googling around just like you. FWIW that has happened to me also - could be a different cause but I’ve realized that the needles sometimes clog or partial clog after a use or two. The 50ml syringe is a harder draw anyway but when you need the size...  I draw a little alcohol in and force it out a couple times after use. But a new needle is the fix in situations where that doesn’t work. I’d be concerned about a change in the hydrocele but you mentioned that it happens drawing alcohol from a bowl - maybe the needle? I’ve also noticed that if the needle isn’t inserted properly, it doesn’t always draw properly. For me that generally requires moving a little further in, or back out a little (not all the way) and then slight change in angle - CAREFULLY! I have a feeling that tissue can get in the way from time to time but no way to tell. I try to use the same spot each time and it hasn’t happened for a while. Other than that, not sure what to tell you! Careful though! Sorry I couldn’t be more helpful...
    • Posted

You might want to try it without a syringe. I have been self-aspirating for six+ years now. I have to do it about every 6-7 weeks and I get 50 to 100 mL of fluid . I use a 1/2-inch, 20 GA needle and NO SYRINGE. I stand with my scrotum over the edge of the bathroom sink and I simply grab my scrotum and squeeze it like a water balloon. I keep a pretty good amount of pressure on it like this throughout the whole procedure. I swap the area with alcohol, let it dry, then stick in the needle near the top of the scrotum, about an inch from the base of the penis. Fluid immediately begins to shoot out of the needle into the sink. It typically takes about 5 to 10 minutes to drain. Eventually, the steady stream stops and it just begins to drip out of the needle. I continue to drain until the drips get fairly slow or stop. I pull out the needle, swap the site, and apply a band-aid with antibiotic ointment. It takes about 10-15 minutes altogether. Sometimes there is a little bit of pain (more of an ache, actually) that lasts about a day. It's inconvenient, but after everything I've read here (and other places) about surgery, I'm just not ready to go that route yet.

• Posted

Hey man,

You said lots and lots of reading before trying self aspiration, can you point me in the direction of what you read. Books, links,??? Thanks so much in advance.

• Posted

Hi Dre,

I share the frustration of others because I've spent days trawling the internet and can not find a good set of instructions on self-aspiration. I do it myself also but you sound as though you've nailed it and found some good advice.

If you were to share a set of good instructions, your post would be massively popular!

thanks

Marcus

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.