Have I been diagnosed correctly (PLEASE READ)

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am 18 and always have a heart rate of over 100 and I went for multiple tests and they said I have nothing wrong but how can a heart rate of over 100 be okay??

This is what the letter I received said

I have available this young gentleman's cardiac investigation results. 24-hour tape confirms sinus rhythm, episodes of sinus arrhythmia. He had an average heart rate of 112 bpm, maximum heart rate 183 bpm, minimum heart rate 71bpm. His overall trend shows good heart rate variability. There is no significant cardiac dysrhythmia on the monitor. We can see from the trend that his heart is showing chronotropic response.

Echocardiogram confirms normal chamber sizes, good LV systolic function and no evidence of any significant valve disease. This completes our investigation and I will copy this letter to this patient so that he is aware we have no evidence of his resting heart rate making him at an enchansed risk from a cardiac viewpoint. Obviously his weight reduction and increased fitness levels will help reduce his overall resting heart rate. I have now discharged him from clinic.

Please can everyone explain what everything means and if this diagnostic sounds correct.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kyle sounds like you can breath a sign of relief good bill of descent heart health  I should know as complete opposite all the best 
    • Posted

I know it says everything is okay but surely a heart rate of over 100 can't be normal and doesn't a faster heart rate mean the heart will weaken quicker

• Posted

Call the clinic and have them explain it to you where you can u understand. Or get a 2nd opinion That's the best advice. FYI normal heart rate is 60-120 bpm.

• Posted

Thankyou but they're probably correct lol I kind of wanted something to come up just so I actually knew what it was but obviously I'm glad nothing came back just wish they'd have made another appointment so they could go over everything with me but the letter they sent me was also sent to my GP so they might want to discuss everything with me

• Posted

What are your symptoms aside from the increased heart rate?  Are they limiting you or troubling you besides the anxiety that comes with things as scary as heart issues? If you don’t have any other symptoms besides the fast heart rate then I wouldn’t worry about it. Your body may just be weird but if there are other symptoms with it then I’d get a second opinion and explain the tests and such and your symptoms. It really depends on the person what is their normal. My dad has a slow heart rate and can rarely get his to go above 90 something even with a long cardio workout and he’s perfectly healthy. So like I said if you have other symptoms get a second opinion, otherwise I’d take the results and interpretation as a good think and heave a sigh of relief. GOD bless you!
  • Posted

The only other symptoms I can think of is palpitations after exercising when my heart rate is more elevated but I'm not sure if that's normal and I never got to mention it to the cardiologist

• Posted

People can get palpitations from exercise I’d work on pacing yourself and if that’s your only symptom I wouldn’t be too concerned. Yes the hhhm heart rate isn’t normal but it doesn’t seem to be causing you difficulty so I wouldn’t worry about it. 
  • Posted

You were not diagnosed correctly I have had tachycardia for six months I have gone to eirmac 14 times found out I was having a near heart attack I see a cardiologist every six  months at first they said nothing is wrong they ran a slue of tests everytime I went to eirmac thyroid blood urine xrays baby aspirin fluids ekgs and I had to call paramedics 4 times and my heart rate goes up to 174 thats tissue damadge plus I have juvenille diabetes so my family doctor reccomended a heart doctor two augusts ago I was tazed by police volunterily so thats what caused my heart problems
  • Posted

Hi Kyle, from the doctor's comment "Obviously his weight reduction and increased fitness levels will help reduce his overall resting heart rate." it sounds like you are overweight and not very fit, which may have some bearing on your high heart rate.  60 to 90 is considered normal.  Yours gets down to 71, which is fine.  Mine is 55, but that is normal for some people who exercise a lot, as I do.  The main thing to be concerned about is maximum heart rate.  The standard equation is 220 minus your age.  So yours should be 202.  Anything above that could be cause for alarm.  Since you only got to 183, that is very good news indeed.  Mine gets to 220 sometimes because I have SVT, which is quite scary.  Look after yourself and accept that you have no major issues.  Cheers, Katherine

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.