Have I cracked or broken a rib.

Posted , 6 users are following.

2 weeks ago I was leaning on my worktop reading messages on my phone.

l felt something move in my rib area.

There was no pain until the next day when I woke up. The area around my ribs was really tender and hurt if I coughed and when I inhaled. Some people have said i have probably strained a rib or something.

It is still as painful today.

Does anyone think I may have cracked or broken a rib. If so do I need to go to the hospital. I didn't think there was any treatment for it.

Any thoughts on this would be most appreciated. Thank you.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

  • Posted

    Sounds like you strained or bruised a rib. Only an X Ray can tell you if you cracked or broke a rib. There is no treatment other than painkillers and rest. At one time they used to bandage the area; now they don't. I twisted my ribcage and it was sore for a week. Rest is the best thing you can do.

    • Posted

      Thanks for the replies.

      like you said I don't think they can do much for this.

      I'm going to give it a few more days and carry on with the painkillers and then I might go to A&E. if I feel no improvement.

    • Posted

      At A&E they will mostly likely send you away with painkillers and instructions to rest which you are already doing. That is the best treatment you will get; that's the standard. My mum broke or cracked ribs when she fell down an escalator in Paris. She was X Rayed and sent away with painkillers.Ribcage injuries take time to heal.I had inflammation of the ribcage some years ago due to stress and was told to take painkillers and wait it out.

  • Posted

    Hi maureen09

    You may have put a strain on a muscle in the ribcage area. Treat the area with hot and cold compresses. Hot water bottle...then frozen peas or suchlike, repeat a few times each day take a painkiller if painful and rest up, don't put any strain on the area. If pain continues after a week seek help from A & E.....

  • Posted

    Hello Maureen, sorry to hear that you are in pain however it may not be a cracked or broken rib, you may be suffering from a totally different condition. Have you heard of "costocondritis"? I was diagnosed with this and even though the treatment is similar (rest & painkillers) at least you know you didn't crack a rib and don't wait. You'll want to have this documented on your medical records. Good luck and keep us updated.

    Take care & rest.

    • Posted

      Hi. l suffered from costochronditis a few years back, but that pain was mainly under my breastbone and chest. Although I suppose it could be possible . The thing is I actually felt something move in my rib area when I was leaning on my worktop. The next morning the tenderness started. I'll give it a bit longer and then probably have to go to see my g.p. or the a & e if it's no better.

      Thanks for replying.

    • Posted

      Ok,thats interesting ..Hmm wonder what it could be this time? Well,like you said it after giving it a little bit and you don't feel better then it would be in your best interest to see a doctor. Best wishes

  • Posted

    I have had both a cracked rib and costachondritis. I was told just rest and pain killers. With the cracked rib it was a good 4 weeks before the pain had eased, and with costachondritis the pain would come and go, but lasted weeks as well. It just takes time.

    • Posted

      With my costocondritis my pain also would come & go but lasted a good 8 weeks. True it just takes time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.