Have I got bipolar? Should i bring this up with my therapist?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have had depression and anxiety for 10years now. I have beeb on medication for them for 6 years and have started CBT this year for the first time.

This has been happening a lot over the years but only really noticed it this year. 

Ill start about this year.

Christmas time, was fine. Around 2nd or 3rd Jan I felt down and was depressed, I tried going out and exercising and doing things what i liked doing, but nothing. I referred myself to cbt wanting to get better. Probably from Jan through till early May I was depressed. I had a few days when i felt “normal” in April as I was looking forward to watching wrestling with my brother so that was like a 6 day. So probably in that time I was between normal and more positive.

Then I was depressed again. Through till Juneish when I started to feel “normal” again. 

Late June my parents went on holiday so it was just me and my brother. I was more positive and outgoing. I had saved some money up. More talkative and a few other things. That week I ended up spending the savings.

On the Friday, we was watching Glow season 2 and I started to feel depressed again and i tried to forget about it. I was expecting to feel a little down because I had enjoyed that week.

Since then I have been depressed. I am having CBT now and have been going since June. 

When I say depressed I have been feeling sad, down, like a failure, comparing myself to others, putting myself down, thinking i dont want to be here, no motivation, not feeling anything bar negative emotions and a few others.

8 days as of writing my second cousin died. I am close with the majority of the family and i was close to her. I noticed that when i was told I didnt feel anything.

Sunday into Monday I started feeling more positive. I was talking more, not sleeping much and not being tired. Struggling to concentrate on 1 thing at a time. Feeling like I could do anything. As well as a few other things but one was I was getting irritated And angry really easily which is not like me. My family noticed this as well

Friday I snapped at my dad and that has broken my positive mood as I keep thinking I shouldnt have done that.

When I snapped back at my family during in the week I did not care. 

Now I am feeling depressed again.

On a scale of 1-10 when i was feeling positive I would say 8.

On a scale of 1-10 when I was depressed I would say 2.

Id say 2 because 0 doesn’t count and 1 would be suicidal and attempting suicide and i did think about how easy it could be to hurt myself because of the thoughts in my head but never acted on them.

Id say 8 for positive as I was more talkative and other things, but I had a voice in my head every now and then questionsing myself. 

Also when I was more positive I was quick at making decisions compared with feeling depressed Id let other people make decisions.

Because of CBT I have got some “homework” to do to help and i have been doing it. 

Should I bring this up with her? I havr wrote down on a piece of paper what i was feeling wheb positive and depressed 

1 like, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hey Wolverine. Sounds like you've been having a tough time and that the possibility of being bipolar is on your mind. If I were in your position I would speak to my therapist about it. At least you will know if it's something that needs investigating or it will put your mind at rest. It's not going to do any harm asking x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.