have I got breast cancer?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I’ve had severe eczema all my life ( I am 14-turning 15 in two months) and it started to improve when I was 11. I noticed some white crusty type skin on both my nipples , More on my right, a couple week ago so I just cleaned it and carried on. I noticed it again earlier so I cleaned it and then thought is this Normal? Obviously, google isn’t the best option but I am embarrassed by it so I decided to google ‘is crusty skin on nipples normal?’. The first thing that came up was pagets. I read the symptoms - on many many websites including this one, and the main symptoms are an inverted nipple ( and I have an inverted nipple on my right breast) , eczema type skin ( I’ve never had a problem with my eczema on my breasts) , itchy nipples ( which I’ve had really bad lately) and pain (which I get on my period now and then so I don’t really know about that one). I sat here googling if I am too young, but many teenagers get breast cancer. I’m way too embarrassed to ask a friend and I don’t want to panic my mom, so I’m asking on here. Does it seem like I have breast cancer? And what should I do? I’m trying to calm myself and say ‘ leave it for a bit’ but then I get scared of development. Please reply whether your a medical professional or not, I need advice 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Dear Elle,

I am a Nurse Practitioner with breast cancer and eczema. I was just checked out for Paget's Disease, BTW.

Breasts get very itchy around your period. Every woman will vouch for that.

Eczema occurs on both breasts.

Paget's Disease only occurs on one breast !!!!

Breast Cancer does not hurt.

Breasts are painful before and during your period.

I doubt highly that it is Paget's Disease, as it is on both your breasts.

That being said, it is a concern of yours, so I would tell your Mom. The eczema on your breasts needs to be treated, evaluated by a medical professional, and perhaps biopsied.

Has your one nipple always been inverted, or is this a recent change?

I know that the thought that you might have breast cancer is scary. While I always go with the maxim, "When in doubt, check it out, " I feel the likelihood of your having breast cancer is close to zero.

I am not minimizing your concerns, however. I had a breast mass checked out when I was 13 or 14 by a male physician. It was benign,. and the doctor was so very sweet and understanding. I couldn't sleep, I was so anxious about it.

Please let me know what you find out.

Best Wishes to you!

Do you have an excellent dermatologist for your eczema?

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Hello,

Thank you for this information 

I overthink everything and I don’t think me researching it all is any help either, but this has eased my worries

I have always had this inverted nipple, so I think I am just connecting the dots in the wrong way so thank you! 

And yes, I have a very good dermatologist who has helped my eczema improve so much smile

• Posted

Elle,

That relieves my mind for you! Eczema, allergies, itching are terrible to suffer from... I have been itchy since birth!

Still get it checked out, but don't lose sleep over it!

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.