Have I got ME?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was diagnosed with glandular fever/ post viral fatigue last April. Whereas I would say I feel better I suffer from fatigue after exerting myself rather physically or mentally. Is this ME or post viral fatigue? Im booked into drs but wondered what people think?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

one of the main symptoms of ME is post exertion malaise often delayed

i would rest as much as you can and dont exercise

• Posted

Hi William,

Basically if you still have symptoms after 6 months (which you have) the classification changes to the umbrella term CFS/ME. It is good that you will be seeing your Dr soon as you can ask for advice etc from them.

best wishes

Beverley

• Posted

It could be other things too - heart trouble? There are many things that cause these symptoms.

• Posted

Most of the tests being run are eliminating causes rather than determining if you are infected with CFS/ME. Find a doctor who understands this is a viral infection that has no cure or agreed upon treatments for symptom relief. There's a lot of "try this" prescriptions without understanding the nature of the disease is viral. Pace yourself with lots of periods to rest and recover while still staying active. Your life will change as you learn that you will no longer be the same person with unlimited potential. Find things that you enjoy doing and do what you can as you are able. Do not push yourself or you'll pay the price of multiple days of exhaustion and recovery. Find friends who realize you won't be consistent in your ability to do simple things sometimes. Appreciate the beauty of God's creation that mankind hasn't screwed up like enjoying a sunset with a glass of wine and a friend to appreciate it with. Get rid of expectations for your future and just appreciate what you have, not what is not good for you any longer. Find new things to do with people that allow for you to be at your own pace. Perhaps a cure will work its way through the Testing and approval process and it will be rebuilding yourself again.

Don't be hard on yourself. It will take time.

• Posted

Hi Jeffrey,

just wanted to say it's not specifically a virus that causes cfs/me. I have cfs/me from a car crash. people have got the condition from surgery, pregnancy, trauma etc. Same condition, different routes in.

Beverley

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.