Have I got PE?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been having minor pains that come and go around my chest left side, right side, beneath breast, around stomach, back and lightheadesness on and off for 4 months.

Have had 2 ECG's, Blood tests for allsorts, ultrasound on kidney, bladder, prostate. Camera down throat to check larrynx amd pharrynx, chest xray (and a 2nd yesterday as I believe I have an enlarged heart) all has come back fine so far and told by 3 seperate doctors it is "anxiety"

Started Sertraline 6/7 weeks ago and seeemed to be helping but have being advised by another person in a different forum ItIt dont sound like anxiety and to have all these other tests which my doctor says there is no need for as there is nothing to warrant further testing and instead uoped sertraline yesterday to 100mg and said it is Christmas time anxiety is worse now wait till new year and take 2mg diazepam as and when needed to help alleviate the chest pains/lightheadeness

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have an idea of what your problem may be. Ask your doctor if you could be suffering from an intercoastal muscle strain. The intercoastal muscles are between each rib. They hold the rib cage together but allowing the ribs to expand and contract as you breath. I've had this happen 3 time in 2018. In my case the pain was horrible. It felt like I had a knife in my rib cage and every time I moved I got a sharp pain. From your description I'm not sure if that sounds like the kind of pain you are experiencing. Your the better judge of that. Anyway, there really isn't a test to see if you have a strain. Is up to the doctor to make that call based on his exam of you. The last one I had I went to a pain management doctor for a nerve block to relieve the pain but it did not work at all. It might work for you. It all depends on whether or not they get the right nerve.

Four months is a little longer then mine lasted. Mine have always lasted about 1-2 months, not four months like your experiencing but I don't think that that is too long for it to still be a strain.

Well, I hope you not only figure out the problem but that you also find a solution. Good luck and Happy Holidays!

• Posted

Hi thankyou for replying, is this also known as costrochonditis ? I have being using ibuprofen rub, deep heat, deep freeze around my chest, left shoudler balde and left arm as I have it embedded in my head this is where the pain is but guess what..... I have read these are Heart attack symptons so i am not sure if they are really there or not

I was literally with my Doctor lat Friday then again this Monday as i felt the pain wasnt easing but again he said it is anxiety, blood pressure is 126/85 and pulse was fine. I just cant stop thinking about these pains

• Posted

No its is not the same thing as costrochonditis. that's what I thought I had the first time it happened to me but when I saw the doctor she told me what I was really experiencing.

• Posted

I have an idea of what your problem may be. Ask your doctor if you could be suffering from an intercoastal muscle strain. The intercoastal muscles are between each rib. They hold the rib cage together but allowing the ribs to expand and contract as you breath. I've had this happen 3 time in 2018. In my case the pain was horrible. It felt like I had a knife in my rib cage and every time I moved I got a sharp pain. From your description I'm not sure if that sounds like the kind of pain you are experiencing. Your the better judge of that. Anyway, there really isn't a test to see if you have a strain. Is up to the doctor to make that call based on his exam of you. The last one I had I went to a pain management doctor for a nerve block to relieve the pain but it did not work at all. It might work for you. It all depends on whether or not they get the right nerve.

Four months is a little longer then mine lasted. Mine have always lasted about 1-2 months, not four months like your experiencing but I don't think that that is too long for it to still be a strain.

Well, I hope you not only figure out the problem but that you also find a solution. Good luck and Happy Holidays!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.