have i got serious heart problem ?

Posted , 2 users are following.

i have had on off palpitations now for about a year with on off breathing issues too, but just latley both have come on strong and the breathing issues have stayed and thats been about 2 weeks now, im worried doctors put me on clitopram 20mg for anxiety but i dont think its the cause

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Andrew,

I have palpitations, tachicardia and missed beats, and get so breathless that getting up the stairs is a challenge, but whilst clearly not normal, it isn't dangerous. That said, at the end of the day you need to check it out if for no other reason but to reassure you.

Have you talked to your GP about your concerns? You could perhaps ask to be referred for a 24hr monitor, (its just a little monitor which you wear for 24hrs to register your heart activity).

Am I right that you have just started Citalopram? I was on that for a while for depression and anxiety and it wss really helpful, you may find that you will start to feel better after a few weeks. It is possible that the feelings that you are getting are panic attacks; when do you get them? Is there a pattern?

At the end of the day you need to see your doctor and tell him how worried you are.

Big hugs xxx

• Posted

hello and thankyou for your reply love

i spoke with my gp a few times about my concerns because we didnt seem to be getting anywhere and i have had a couple of ecg done but the problems wernt there at the time of the ecg so surely it wouldntrecordanything untowards so i think your idea of a 24 hr monitor is fab and i shall be asking for that 1 thankyou :-).

the breathing issues have been here all day for two weeks but i did notice something this morning when i woke up and that was my breathing was normal no catching breath or lungs feeling full until i got up and started moving about , which as got me thinking that maybee im unfit as since my last job finished i have found it difficult to find work so maybe im doing too much sitting about ?

• Posted

Hi Andrew

Sounds unlikely that literally overnight you have started to get breathing problems due to unfitness, that would be more gradual!

What is possible, thinking of the timescales is that you are struggling with breathing due to the heat and possible as a reaction to the really high pollen counts!

My husband is into his 60's (yup older but much fitter than me), and has never had any problems with hay fever until this year and suddenly he has it full blown!

What I am wondering is whether you have a touch of allergic ashtma?

Obviously if you smoke (says the ex 20 a dayer who stopped in February), it would be a good idea to stop, and if you are over weight (I wasn't but am now), losing weight would be sensible.

All of those things are particularly difficult when you are feeling crap and like the world isn't a good place to be though!

What sort of job are you looking for (if you are)? I was signed off last year, made redundant this year and am now on ESA (support group), a bit worrying really as I think that puts me in the most barmiest group of barmy's!

My husband has decided to retire and we are moving next month and he is going to play carer for me (told him that means he has to do the ironing, he said no it means we wear nylon as 'retro is back in fashion! ) He is daft!

• Posted

possibilty for the allergic ashtma, i stopped smoking and this has been ongoing for a bout a year now on and off but continuasly for roughly two weeks , i was on esa for my thyroid problem so can assure you it doesnt make you barmy haha, and i dont feel that bad really apart from the breathing isuues getting me down i feel good in my self
  • Posted

Is your thyroid under or overactive? Breathlessness is a side effect of underactive thyroid! I have underactive thyroid, my thyroid levels are not controlled yet; it's possible that you need to get thyroid tested, it could be that you need to increase the thyrozine.

Its also possible that your depression / anxiety is also linked to thyroid, if you sort levels out they could improve!

My big bug bear is that thyroxine side effect is meant to be weight loss! I wish! I have gained 3 stone since Xmas, mix of stopping smoking, meds, enjoying my food and no exercise!

Viscious circle though, feel fat and ugly which makes me feel depressed!

Were you in ESA support group or ESA Work related support group? What are you doing now?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.