Have I had enough Tetanus jabs?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have had:

DTP (triple) + polio vacc. (Oct 85, Dec 85, Jun 86)

Booster DT (double) + polio vacc. (Jan 90)

A jab with Tetanus in it (I assume it was a booster) in 2008.

Have I had enough Tetanus jabs?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

If the jab you had at school contained tetanus - it ususually does - then that means you've had five in your lifetime so are covered.
  • Posted

You should have good levels of immunity now, but they recommend boosters every 10 years particularly if your in a job that puts you at risk.
    • Posted

Hi, not sure if you're in the US or UK,but here in the UK they don't give routine tetanus boosters anymore.

• Posted

If you're in the USA, Laroxe is correct. a Td (Tetanus/Diphtheria) booster is recommended every ten years - and more recently, it's advised to substitute one of those with a Tdap (tetanus/diphtheria/pertussis) booster to boost your pertussis (whooping cough) antibodies. (And, for pregnant women, a Tdap booster is recommended every pregnancy).  If you're in the UK or another country, the vaccination schedule may be different. The 3 DTP's you had were the initial series of shots to give you immunity. The DT you received and any other shots that included tetanus in them were boosters. You received four doses of polio vaccine so you have completed the series. An adult polio booster would be recommended if you were to travel to a country that still experienced polio outbreaks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.