Have I learned a lot!

Posted , 7 users are following.

After being in intense pain for 12 years of my life due to crippling arthritis, after RTKR 19 months and LTKR 3 months ago, boy am I excited to find that I can clean the shower and take brisk walks for 40 minutes, use an exercise bike at the top speed for 20minutes and SO much MORE! 

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I don't know what your talking about. I've never heard of those treatments but I am excited for you. How liberating! It must feel wonderful. Happy days. Enjoy your new found pain free days.

• Posted

RTKR and LTKR  Total knee replacements.  My mum in law has recently had one done at 86 and she is now free of pain. smile
    • Posted

Well knowing that yours and your mom's knee replacement worked out I've got a story to share. A friend of mine went in to have knee surgery. She is very heavy and no spring chicken. I'd say she is probably about mid 60s. As it turns out it got so infected that they were unable to save her leg and ended up amputating her leg just above the knee . So as you can see not all knee surgeries turn out the way you expect them to.

• Posted

Thanks for the no spring chicken comment, I'm 69 and certainly don't consider myself to be an old broiler lol

That was sad about your friend, these things do happen unfortunately, but in all honesty, I have to say that everyone I know or have heard of who has gone through the op, has recovered well and no-longer need sticks to get around. 

• Posted

I've not had mine done yet, although they will probably need it sooner rather than later.

• Posted

I totally agree that not all surgeries turn out well. I had my knee replaced 8 years ago. I have not had a great result. I was still in pain, with swelling and stiffness.My bendage was limited. Since then, 2 years ago, I ended up with Cellulitis and Septic Arthritis in the replaced knee leg. I wasn't a very well person. Yes, I nearly died. I had to have my knee opened up twice in 3 days due to infection.Since then I have worked really hard to improve my bendage. I am now up to 120 dergees. I was only 90 degrees. I still get pain, stiffness and swelling. My other knee has now had stem cell treatment. Best thing I have ever done. If I could have my time over again I wouldn't have had my knee replaced.I am coming on in leaps and bounds now.lol

• Posted

OH yes, it happens.  I died in surgery 3 month ago and had 2 days in ICU had collapsed lung and other problems.  So - there you go another bad story.  I was kinda hoping this was going to be a positive discussion, sorry it hasn't turned out that way.

• Posted

Haha sukes I'm 62 and people try and believe that's old.  It's a big negative way to think isn't it.! 

• Posted

That's really brilliant Cheryl.  I will need my right hip and knee replaced at some stage, so I will look forward to the same lease of life you know have. smile

• Posted

Awesome Sukes, that's what I was trying to achieve here, just to let people know that not all TKRs are dreadful! Great, I'm glad you got that out of it!

• Posted

So heartwarming to hear your knee replacements have been successful in giving you back an active life.  Well done you.  The majority of these ops work wonders.  Sorry to hear of Amkoffee's friend's problems - maybe her circulation was comprised due to her weight issues and maybe even diabetes.  Thank God these kind of major setbacks are rare but terribly sad nonetheless to hear of it.  A good friend of mine in the USA broke a toe, which then didnt heal and because of her weight/diabetes, became ulcerated then gangrene set in and she had her foot amputated.  What was originally a very minor injury in the scheme of things had a bad outcome because of her existing health issues.  So very sad.  Keep up the good work cheryl, so pleased for you.

• Posted

Thank you Loxie, I was hoping to raise hopes for all those still waiting for a TKR. Diabetes is a terrible disease
  • Posted

You know what works the best when you have any surgery - a positive attitude.   I'm rather disappointed that even though I posted good positive news that some people have used it as an opportunity to be negative.  Don't do that! If you're upset about something start a new discussion to satisfy your attitude. 

• Posted

You know what works the best when you have any surgery - a positive attitude.   I'm rather disappointed that even though I posted good positive news that some people have used it as an opportunity to be negative.  Don't do that! If you're upset about something start a new discussion to satisfy your attitude.    

• Posted

Good point Cheryl.  Everybody has at least one experience of things going well.  When I was in hospital following a terrible accident, waiting for repair surgery, the other ladies in my small ward were all hip replacement surgeries.  All of them were doing really well.  One rather elderly, rather overweight little lady was a joy to behold, she was up and about on a walking frame the day after surgery and within a couple of days was having fun trundling down the corridor to the fridge in the nurse's station to sneak food her daughter had brought in - I was nil by mouth every day waiting for surgery but at around 9pm each day they told me I'd missed the slots for that day by which time all the food service had finished - we had a couple of 'midnight feasts' dining on cooked chicken and ham sandwiches - she was really over the moon she could finally move around independently after years of terrible hip pain.  When it works, it really works eh.

• Posted

I'm definitely a half full person rather than a half empty one, if you know what I mean.  lol

• Posted

Yeah, that's fantastic loxie.  That's exactly what I focus on too.  I know it can sound terribly cliche to do the gratitude stuff, but boy does it work!! Oprah really annoyed me years ago when she talked the gratitude stuff -  like it was a new idea! LOL I've had about 30 surgeries and I always look at the funny side of it all. It just helps us get through but also makes us feel so much better!

• Posted

So true Cheryl.  I have lasting issues and disability following my accident - but I could so easily have had to have an amputation, which was an option at the time, or worse I could have broken my neck instead of lower limb.  In the end, I'm still here and whilst I have pain, I have both legs and both feet.  I consider that a good result from a bad start to be honest.  Dont get me wrong, I do like to have a moan when I'm hurting but I'm better off than some and I never forget that.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.