have i really got bipolar

Posted , 2 users are following.

:shock: I was diagnosed with bipolar a couple of days ago. I have suffered depression for a while now but the episodes of irrational behaviour are becoming more frequent. I have a full time job which I am pretty successful at but am worried this illness may affect my work as it has in the past. I have now been put on mood stabilisers. Will I have to take them for life? Can anyone offer advice or help?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi there,

Doesnt seem that anyone has got to back to you so i'll try my best to give you some info in answer to your questions. Kinda know what u might be feeling as its not easy to know where to \"put\" that diagnosis. The docs tend to give you the label and then often not much else.

You may well have to rely on meds long term to keep you on the level. If you find what they've put you on doesnt work for you then do try different meds but take advice before making changes. Big risk is once you've found the right thing to level you off you feel better, you then come off it and relapse. It may well happen, so be careful!

The illness may affect things in the future but in my experience you can get on top of it and still achieve great things. I've had quite a few years with no real problems, couple of bad periods but nothing too bad since i found what worked for me.

Last thing to bear in mind is you are not your illness. Some may wish to define themselves with the tag \"manic depressive\" or \"bipolar\", but your a person first and if you've just had a doc slap a nice label on you, you dont have to live with that life sentence. Best not to in my experience. You're a person with a condition to manage.

I take 200mg of tegretol daily, much lower than most and it works pretty well for me. Helps me sleep and keeps me from going too up/down. Most of the time!

I wish you good luck my friend.

JB

• Posted

Hey JB, Thanx for your time in replying to my post. I really appreciate it.. At the moment I am all over the place. Capable of making rational decisions then completely losing the plot. I realise it takes a while for the meds to kick in and my new psych has explained about trying different ones if these don't work. I'm on depakote just now and having the blood tests to see if the dose is right for me. I shall try and stay as positive as possible and bear in mind what you said about being a person first not a condition. Once again thankyou. I hope this finds you fit, well and stable. Cheers and I'll try to stop screamin. smile
  • Posted

Last link to Amazon book -

Change Your Brain, Change Your Life: The Breakthrough Program for Conquering Anxiety, Depression, Obsessiveness, Anger and Impulsiveness (Paperback)

by Daniel G. Amen

• Posted

:cat:Thanx guys :jester: /gals :angel: or who ever for the links. I shall look :cdouble: them up. Cheers :ale: I had my nephew :devil: to stay this weekend, so I'm not screamin :weird: but quite chilled. :bunny: :ta:

Hope you can mke sense of this message it took ages to do.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.