Have made a decision

Posted , 4 users are following.

After being on 20mgs for nearly 8 weeks building up from 10, 15 to 20 over a space of 18 weeks, apart from a good 2 weeks, a week ago am now feeling worse then before I went on it so my decision is to see GP and tell them I want to come off, after a week of feeling constantly ill like I have the flu and all the start up side effects back to bring me joy, I can no longer suffer like this on these meds. I know that they do work for a lot of people, I myself have been successful on them 3 times before but it appears this time it is not to be. Am going to ask Dr to give me some 10's and start cutting so I take 15 for a month then 10 and see how I get on. Those of you have come off / reduced, does this seem like a plan?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I reduced from 20 to ten and recovered on 10...
    • Posted

Lois can I ask why you cut down? I know these meds can help, they did before very well but as I have said, this last week I have been so ill and it is with all the side effects coming back after 18 weeks makes me think 10 would be kinder on my system
    • Posted

That's exactly right I couldn't tolarate the side effects ..it took me 8months to recover ..and iam still improving after 27months..

• Posted

Been that this is the fourth time on ssri .isn't it time you realize you need this Medication in your life..I bet is a struggle going on then coming off again again..I know I couldn't do that drama.no way...but that's your choice ..so good luck..

• Posted

I would reduce by 2.5mg to 17.5mg and see how you go for a few weeks, you are already getting side effects and reducing these will also give you withdrawal symptoms, cut down small amounts slowly.  I cut down from 30mg to 20mg overnight, and was very ill for months, but then I am extremely sensitive to meds and was on other meds too.  You can buy pill cutters or ask your doctor for liquid citalopram with a syringe.
  • Posted

Good that you talk to your doctor, perhaps its the wrong medication. Can you do aerobic exercise or yoga?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.