Have PCO , need laser surgery. Anyone have complications after?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Have PCO, has anyone had complications with the laser to break it up? Had it done to my other eye, ended with detached retina & surgery. Don't know if the laser caused it, Dr. said no, but he wouldn't tell the truth anyway. Would like to hear about success or failure laser for PCO

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

My Mother had the laser on both eyes in October. The first eye went ok but the second eye had problems less than 2 weeks after surgery. Her vision is very blurry. The Doctor said she will need the YAG procedure to correct it. He made it sound like it was no problem. He said it is common. I thought it was something that could/would happen 2 years after cataract surgery not 2 weeks. I also asked if the Laser could have caused it but of course he said no. I wish my Mom would have gone to someone who did not push the laser. The Doctors just seem to want to make the extra 3000- dollars and were pretty insistant on only doing laser for a good result(I took my Mom to two Doctors) I wish I would have taken her to a third one. I really feel she was taken advantage of.
  • Posted

I had yag in one eye back in August. Vision was immediately improved but unfortunately I was constantly bothered by a large floating remnant of the capsule. Apparently this was supposed to sink into the vitreous. I gave it a couple of months but it would not go therefore had to return for a second yag procedure. The surgeon attempted to break up the remnant with the laser which did make a significant difference. However it is still bothersome and I will have to return for him to have another go at breaking it up. I believe this is very rare and usually the cut out piece of capsule just falls harmlessly into the vitreous. In my case it is just hanging about behind my lens. I'm confident that this was not the fault of the surgeon and I'm just an odd case! I have been thinking that because I'm relatively young my vitreous is still quite thick and not allowing the fragments to fall away like they would in a more liquified vitreous. Hopefully the third treatment will break down the rest of it anyway. Good luck with your treatment, you'll notice a huge improvement in vision clarity and colour sharpness.

• Posted

I'm not a doctor and this is just a speculation. Retinal detachment could be caused by horseshoe tear that went undetected prior to cataract surgery. If so, it was not caused by laser but by cataract surgery. Actually, laser is the treatment of choice for horseshoe tear.

"When a posterior vitreous detachment (PVD) occurs, if the vitreous is abnormally attached to the retina, the retina may be pulled and torn. The tear is usually U-shaped and may also be described as a horseshoe tear."

• Posted

Just want to thank everyone for the comments on the laser procedure.

Nice to hear how things went with others,

Thanks

• Posted

I had YAG done in both eyes over two weeks.  No problem.  It did remove the big star bursts, not the glow/haze.
    • Posted

Hi steve24102

Did you have any problems with floating remnants of capsule after the yag?

• Posted

No problem with floaters post YAG.  Dr nailed it.  Keep your eye(and head) still!  I concentrated on the green dot with no brain fade.   Dr blasted capsule about 15-20 hits per eye.  Be ready, it can make you jump.  Takes about 2 minutes per eye. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.