Have persistent arrhythmia and have been told by Doctor that ablation is very risky. Please advise.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Doctor also told me that chance of success from ablation is only 40per cent. I  am 74 yrs old, and otherwise in good health with normal blood pressure. I have been taking 80mg of Sotalol hydroxide twice a day and 75mg of aspirin for the last ten yrs and only fairly recently have the attacks become more frequent - about every few weeks rather than at 6mth intervals. I am 6ft 2 in height and 16 and a half stone. Am wondering whether to risk the ablation.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi. What sort of arrhythmia do you have?

Sarah

• Posted

I really don't know. Pulse is not excessive but is very irregular.

Don

• Posted

It sounds like Atrial Fibrillation. AF is a very common arrhythmia. Are you on any blood thinning medication? Ablation for AF is usually pretty routine. It isn't always as successful as for other forms of arrhythmia vmbit I would say its worth a try if it is really bothering you. There maybe a reason your doctor feels it's too risky but I think you should ask him why or perhaps get a second opinion from someone else. Let us know how you get on. Sarah
  • Posted

Both myself and my sister are in our fifties and have had successful ablations. It has made life more comfortable 
  • Posted

Ifyour Dr says its too risky then listen. I have lived with this for 30 years.I am now 63.  If the problem is too near your own pacemaker they won't risk it. Also have you tried Magnesium Citrate that does help.It does ease the beats.Leme know
    • Posted

Thanks for your advice.I don't have a pacemaker and am fairly fit at 74. Pulse is still irregular but have just been for a fast walk for about a mile with no discomfort so can it be that bad? My son is a GP as is his partner and they all give different advice eg. Aspirin is as good as warfarin for preventing strokes or..Consultant No.1...Go on to Warfarin immediately or..Consultant no. 2....Stick with 75mg. Aspirin till you're 80 then go on to Warfarin,,!, Anyway  I shall cut out chocolate and, with enormous difficulty, Cheddar cheese and try your Magnesium Citrate.

Thanks again and Happy New Year!

Don

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.