Have plenty of patience and persevere

Posted , 2 users are following.

I first started suffering from anxiety and depression about 20 years ago which lasted approximately 5 years in which time I tried various ADs such as Cypramil, Effexor and Seroxatine. I couldn't get on with any of these due to bad side effects. I then had a period of around 12 years when I felt totally recovered and was on no medication. This was until 3 years ago when I woke up one morning with that familiar feeling of dread and fear which I thought I had got rid of for good.

I went to the doctors after about a year of this latest episode and was prescribed Mirtazapine. During the first few week of taking these I did feel better, but it didn't last. I continued for a year then went back to see him and he changed me over to Sertaline. That was Dec 2017. I suffered very badly when first taking these which I think was down to making me stop the Mirt immediately, then starting on the Sert the following day. I took these until 6th April this year, but could not get on with these either, so returned back to the doctor.

He started me on 40mg Fluoxetine on 6th April and then increased to 60mg on 30th July. I probably had about 2- 3 weeks weeks total since starting then when I was feeling a little bit better. This would only last a few days each time, then I would go back to feeling crap again. I was feeling sick with headaches as well as still feeling anxious and depressed and was always a lot worse in the mornings.

I read plenty of forums and lots of posts advising folk to persevere and have patience as this type of medication takes time to work. I'm glad I took that advise. I started improving about 3-4 weeks ago and I am now feeling 95% better and improving every day. My friends and family have told me that I am back to my old self (I don't know if this is a good thing or not 😃).

What I am trying to say is don't give up on your medication too soon. Give it around 6 months like I did and change after that if there is no improvement.

Brad

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

That's GREAT! So happy for you! Thanks for the words of encouragement. Be well, Brad.

• Posted

Since posting this 8 days ago, I have had a relapse a few days ago. I am back to suffering severe anxiety especially in the mornings. I'm hoping that it's just a blip and won't last too much longer. I have booked to go an a Caribbean for Christmas and dare not change my meds or dosing before then.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.