Have started getting anxiety attacks, 3rd week post surgery. Advice welcome.

Posted , 12 users are following.

Apart from appetite loss am fearing getting to sleep given constraints on positions etc. Tonight simply can't calm my head down even by reading. Physical recovery seems to be going well. Mental side much tougher than I had anticipated and generally thinking ahead too much anticipating problems later in day etc. Any advice/shared experiences are welcome

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I experienced similar symptoms. Couldn’t sleep, anxiety, etc.  Happened at about 2 weeks out. But, I also had some trouble breathing which would wake me up when I did fall asleep. Ended up taking medication to reduce swelling (ankle & leg) after ruling out a blood clot or heart issues. Has helped significantly. Still not sleeping as before, but much better. 

• Posted

I had some of the same feelings in the beginning of recovery. Not too hungry either and no interest in reading or much else. At the time I was taking the pain meds and I think that was part of what was affecting me. I would become a little "weepy" at times which isn't like me. Sometimes I was also a little scared of the "what ifs" and taking great care when walking.

First 2 weeks I slept in a recliner because it was easier since I did wake up often during the night. After that I slept on my back on the bed. Even though I technically can now sleep on my side I continue to sleep on my back. I also sleep in the recliner if I wake up very early in the morning. Sometimes more confortable there.

Later in day is also difficult time for me with tiredness and thigh swelling.

Keep in mind that it will take TIME to fully recover. Keep posting on this website and you'll get a lot of supportive comments from other people who can understand how you are feeling.

One thing I found that helped was having someone visiting and watching a comedy on TV. Laughter can be an amazing distraction and healer.

Are you taking pain meds? After I stopped with them and took Tylenol occasionally I did much better with my feelings.

• Posted

Thanks for this. I am taking a reduced dosage pain meds (codeine and paracetamol). Thinking of cutting out the codeine completely. Appreciate comments.
  • Posted

I found the yoga relaxation position really helpful. It’s called (a bit morbidly) corpse pose. If you look on you tube there are lots of videos about yoga breathing and meditation. I also found affirmations helped, repeating a statement like ‘I Sleep blissfully on my back, I always sleep well on my back’ many times during the day, you don’t have to say it out loud, just repeat it in your thoughts. Might sound a bit dippy but worth giving it a go. I still enjoy sleeping on my back now and I never did before. Finally I used pillow sprays from Thisworks called Sleep plus and Deep Sleep after a friend told me about them and they really helped. Good luck

ann 

• Posted

I suggest lots of exercise to turn yourself out and keeping up the exercises you should have been given when in hospital.,, Oh yes and no TV or internet usage for a couple of hours before turning off the lights.... I know easier said than done! Cheers Richard
  • Posted

How do you make sure you sleep on your back? I have several pillows on each side of me. It prevents me turning over and also gives a nice comforting feeling, which might help you. May not be possible if you share your bed though ...
  • Posted

Try not to worry, your routine will be out of synch after such a traumatic event. Rest when you can, if you can't sleep get up for a while - it doesn't matter does it ? Things will get back to normal eventually, just go with the flow ! 🚶

• Posted

Recovery from THR is a real rollercoaster, both mentally and physically.

I never expected that side of it, and this was the first time I ever felt depression.

Even when I returned to work it didn't stop, I was depressed at how much I had forgotten to do and how much of a burden I was putting on my workmates in a technical IT environment.

• Posted

Dear Graham

But you did suffer the misfortune to have an unsatisfactory surgery and all the revision repercussions that ensured!

Cheers Richard

• Posted

I did ... as I said to a nurse yesterday, I have had a good outcome despite what they did to me, not because of it. cool

• Posted

deep breath........ some aroma therapy with calming music...... it will be okay..... do not allow yourself to be sucked into the "worst case scenario" .... it causes anxiety..... do you have a knee pillow???....... set one then you won't have to worry about the wrong position....... tell your doctor about your anxiety and see what they can give you.....  Lavender (edible) is a natural calming agent..... you can buy pre made tea at most stories under sleepy time teas....... on the internet their are many things one can do to calm anxiety...... I hope this is helpful........  I also use laughter...... laughter is good medicine.......  take care!  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.