Have taken all the meds avaiable to no avail

Posted , 11 users are following.

Today my urologist said that prostate is enlarged but not large enough to try any treatment other then meds. and since I have tried al of the know meds there is nothing more to do.  I get up every 4 hours at night and it has destroyed my sleep, I will just have to be careful about dinking anything after 6 pm I suppose.

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Lew,

There are multiple reasons for getting up at night and some of them have nothing to do with your prostate. You might want to do a simple 24 hour void log. Just write down the time and amount of each void. If more than 40% of our void volume is in the evening, then your problem may be other than your prostate or bladder.

The other thing is that your urologist seems to be equating prostate size with treatment options. Actually, prostate size often does not correlate with symptons. Some men have few symptons with large prostates and some have significant symptons with a smaller prostate. So it's really not the size that's important but your symptons.

Do you know your residual (PVR)? That's the amount of urine left in your bladder after you void. You find out with a simple bladder scan that should be part of your urologist's visit.

Jim

• Posted

Getting up every 4 hours is not that bad. It could translate into getting up once a night. Many people on this group would love to have your problem. However, I am certain you sure can even make it better by limiting liquid intake, especially in the evening. Hank
    • Posted

I made a mistake, it is actually every 2 to 3 hours
  • Posted

Hi how old are you?
    • Posted

I was 76 when I was talked into TURP, which was actually done with Greenlight.  Turned my life upside down.
  • Posted

Hank's right, once a night would be considered a sort of aspirational "new normal" for a lot of guys. Before my PAE I was up to 4 times a night, now that is sleep destroyed. Post PAE it is down to once. It is worth finding out if the Radiology Department performs PAE. Your Urologist may not tell you about it though. Do some research on here. PAE is a great starting point in getting good results for dealing with early symptoms of BPH.

• Posted

Up four times a night, Lew?  I'd kill for that.  Two nights ago, I made 25 trips to the bathroom.  25 trips.  If anyone has any advice for me, do let me know.  Appreciate it.

• Posted

Wow Alan ! 25 times ! How can you sleep ? Tell us more about yourself. Maybe we can help. Hank
    • Posted

How much did you pass during the 25 trips. It surely could not be that much each time.

What does your Uro recommend ?

• Posted

You need a diagnosis first and foremost. Do you have retention? Overactive bladder syndrome? Nocturia Polyuria? A combination? Only until you identify what's behind the symptoms can you begin to fix things. A simple bladder scan will tell if you have retention. A 24 hour void log will tell if you have nocturia polyuria.

Jim

• Posted

My head spins to consider 25 times to the loo.  Ask us (or your uro-doc) about CIC, Clean Intermittent Catheterizing.  I do it before going to sleep, and am up MAX ONE TIME at night.  Worth taking a look at that option!
  • Posted

Lew, 

If you meant FOUR TIMES A NIGHT, then yes, that's an issue!  You might benefit in that case from CIC (Clean Intermittent Catheterizing).  I cath before going to bed, and after emptying my bladder completely, I am up once at night, if at all.  Just a thought...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.